PDA

View Full Version : Driveline and Gel Coat Repair

kvand347
06-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Hey guys/gals, just wondering your thoughts on the quotes I got. I'm hoping this will all be covered under my insurance policy. Damage was caused by hitting an unknown submerged object.

My best guess is new prop, strut, shaft, and fix oil that is now leaking from front of transmission (front oil seal?). The quote I got for that was approximately $2,500 for parts and labor. I guessed $2,000 so I figure that's close.

The marina sends out their gelcoat work to an auto body place. They quoted me $3,500-4000. That to me seems really high!!

Any thoughts? Also, anything else to check/change while they are that deep in work? I was thinking damper plate.

Mischief IV
06-09-2020, 01:50 PM
If it were mine, I'd prefer to have someone that only does boat repair to work on it, not an auto body shop. $3500 plus does seem high, but if it's not something they do every day, that may be why they are estimating it high. Could not tell you what it should be but gelcoat repair is labor intensive and depending on what a shop chargers per hour, can run high for even small repairs.

Anyway, sucks to have that damage. Best of luck.

kvand347
06-09-2020, 06:01 PM
If it were mine, I'd prefer to have someone that only does boat repair to work on it, not an auto body shop. $3500 plus does seem high, but if it's not something they do every day, that may be why they are estimating it high. Could not tell you what it should be but gelcoat repair is labor intensive and depending on what a shop chargers per hour, can run high for even small repairs.

Anyway, sucks to have that damage. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply! According to the marina, this place is where they send all their gelcoat work. Sounds like it's something they do regularly, not just on the side. They could have quoted me high based on pictures and not actually seeing the boat.

The emotions of all this has been a roller coaster! Out on the boat feeling good, hit something and feeling bad, not knowing if insurance covers it and feeling worse, finding out you're covered and feeling better, knowing you won't have your boat for June and back to feeling bad. Lol!

Mischief IV
06-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the reply! According to the marina, this place is where they send all their gelcoat work. Sounds like it's something they do regularly, not just on the side. They could have quoted me high based on pictures and not actually seeing the boat.

The emotions of all this has been a roller coaster! Out on the boat feeling good, hit something and feeling bad, not knowing if insurance covers it and feeling worse, finding out you're covered and feeling better, knowing you won't have your boat for June and back to feeling bad. Lol!

Most boats shops are probably full by now. I have one boat in shop for restoration but the shop where it is at is already full for the summer. It’s been in there since March.
There were nine boats in there today plus 3 waiting outside not to mention all the torn up Jetskis and with 6 guys working long hours, they still can’t repair them fast enough.

The auto shop if they regularly do boats and/ or fiberglass repair would be a great option because you might get it back quicker than a boat shop now that summer is full on. Whatever you’re comfortable with and agreeable on price is all that matters.
I have been known to ask for pics of previous jobs and even call their clients for reference to get a sense of who I’m working with.
Hopefully they treat you right, price comes down and insurance pays since that is what it is there for.

Never a good time to have the boat unavailable especially during the summer.