PDA

View Full Version : water intake

Jq
04-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Just wondering where to hook up the water if I want to run my boat in the driveway. Is there some kind of adapter? I just got the boat and have never had an inboard engine before. Its an 88 sunsport. Thanks for the help.

PDOWLING
04-20-2003, 10:04 PM
I just remove hose from thru hull fitting and stick a garden hose in it. You can then clamp it to the garden hose connector & open the supply wide open. Works great, just be sure to reattach to the thru hull fitting securely, or bad things can happen!

Nick H
04-21-2003, 04:49 AM
if you look back a page on these general inquiries you will see i asked the same question and got a couple of different answers. personally i now use a "fake a lake" as you dont have to disconnect anything or have a hose running inside the boat, and it only takes seconds to setup and remove.
Have fun

dba4life
04-25-2003, 09:40 AM
I just started using the "fake-a-lake" this year on my 90 comp. Has worked well the 3 times I have used it. Easy as well. It is $42 from Overtons. Since it is basically a glorified plunger I wouldn't be surprised if it were cheaper elsewhere.

Kevin

Salty87
04-25-2003, 11:00 AM
i went to home depot and bought a rubber fitting to attach to the tranny cooler with radiator clamps (2" i THINK), an adapter to fit to the garden hose (whatever size your hose is) and then had the home depot guy get the right adapters to make it all fit together. cost about $15 and works great, no climbing under the boat to stick the plunger under there too. all i have to do is disconnect the water intake hose before the tranny cooler, screw the adapter clamp down, and turn the hose on.

Skipkris
05-22-2003, 02:28 PM
When I bought my 89 Conbrio (PCM 351) the dealer advised against hooking a garden hose directly to the raw water intake--apparently you can force water back through the manifolds and into the cylinders. The same dealer recommended attaching a hose to the top of the transmission cooler and running the other end into a bucket (i use a 5 gallon bucket) and putting a garden hose into the bucket, filling it up, then starting the engine. This way the water pump draws water at it's own rate, vice having it forced in by the pressure from the garden hose...and when recommissioning after a long winter, you get a true reading on how well your water pump impeller is functioning. I used this technique for 13 years on the Conbrio, and now with our 98 Saltare with the 5.7L Apex, and it works great.
Good luck

02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Skipkris

When I bought my 89 Conbrio (PCM 351) the dealer advised against hooking a garden hose directly to the raw water intake--apparently you can force water back through the manifolds and into the cylinders. The same dealer recommended attaching a hose to the top of the transmission cooler and running the other end into a bucket (i use a 5 gallon bucket) and putting a garden hose into the bucket, filling it up, then starting the engine. This way the water pump draws water at it's own rate, vice having it forced in by the pressure from the garden hose...and when recommissioning after a long winter, you get a true reading on how well your water pump impeller is functioning. I used this technique for 13 years on the Conbrio, and now with our 98 Saltare with the 5.7L Apex, and it works great.
Good luck

IndyMatt
02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I think that above post may have some merit, but in theory only. There are several types of systems available to flush the cooling system out of the water and they all rely on one basic principle; The garden hose. While I wouldnt suggest running your water without the motor running for an extended period of time, lets recall some facts of the cooling system. First, the seal on the waterpump is pretty tight and it is difficult to get the 20 to 40 psi garden hose to push anything through without the impellar turning. The main problem with a gardenhose is not pressure, but the fact that it is a cold water access. Also remeber your thermostat will not even open until 165 degrees which is difficult to accomplish with a cold supply. Any over pressure will likely bypass the block all together and drain through the manifold and out the exhaust. I agree that the bucket method is safe and a good idea of the intake capibility of your waterpump, just be careful because your 2" intake w/pump will empty a bucket faster than your 3/4 inch gargen hose will fill it. Also watch opperational temps, keeping in mind your not even in the block until 165 degrees.
I hook to the intake line in the boat just because I dont like crawling under for the fake a lake. Also, if you have an old style "ears" type for I/O or outboard, you can pull off one side and put a "J" bend in the wire. Hook to your grate attach the hose and pull tight. Or like someone else mentioned, a toilet plunger with a garden hose type connection poked through the rubber. Most connections can be purchased at lowes or home depot from the plumbing isle... regardless of your method.

OUI
02-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Some systems work better than others. Bottom line, forcing water into the system is bad, and all systems will do that. I made an adapter that works perfect, and the water flow can be regulated or shut off.

First, go to the hardware store and buy a step down fitting that goes from 1” (the intake hose size) down to garden hose size. Attach a clear plastic hose about 16" long to the step down fitting and secure it with a hose clamp. I use a clear hose so I can see the water flow. Then attach a garden-hose-end-fitting to the plastic hose, from there attach a shut off (ball) valve to that fitting. All of this can be purchased at any hardware store in their plumbing and garden department for less than 10 bucks.

Once you assemble the parts, disconnect the main water feed at the through haul fitting and attach your new gizmoe with a hose clamp – close the ball valve, turn on the water at the tap, start your motor, then open the ball valve -- enough so you see the water flowing through but not being forced through the hose. You might see the hose collapse a little and some air bubbles – that’s perfect. But experiment a little you’ll see what’s best for your motor and water supply. When you’re done close the ball valve, turn off the motor, disconnect the hose and call it a day.

wpg89supra
03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Just a note on the pick-up pump. I was reading the manual for my 89 conbrio 351 pcm and it recommends that you take the pick-up apart for the winter, it keeps the impeller from staying bent for a long period of time. also before you put it back together it can be repaired if required. Our storage period is about 7 months in the great white north

1988comp
04-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I made neat thing for this. Take a big tupperware bowl, and put a hose-connection through it near the bottom, so you can fill the bowl from the bottom with the hose.

Now cut a wooden stick that will fit between the bowl and the ground. see the picture I drew

you can see the picture at http://www.geocities.com/buell_racing/watersupply.JPG