PDA

View Full Version : 20 hour service- your thoughts?

klewis
07-09-2008, 02:14 PM
OK, so I have hit the 20 hour mark and I called my dealer to setup the 20 hour service they said I needed. They want $400!!! I asked what they do for that service and they said oil change and Indmar is recommending a fuel filter change becuase of bad gas out there?? Plus they go through the entire boat and trailer top to bottom.

There is no way I am paying $400 for an oil change, I have all the tools to do it myself. The service guy said I am more than welcome to do the oil change myself and to just write the hours down on the receipt and keep it for maintanence records. I have also read the warranty section in the Supra manual and it does not say that I will void the warranty by doing it myself.

However I can kind of understand the cost since they are planning to go through the entire boat and trailer top to bottom to make sure everything from the factory is still tight and in shape. That would take a while, especially if they do it thoroughly.

Now stop me if my thought process is wrong here, but shouldnt checking to make sure everything from the factory is still good be a warranty situation? I mean if something does go wrong due to manaufacturing defect it is covered under warranty anyway. SO why would I let the dealer charge me a ton of money to check for manufacturing defects.

Can someone give me some thoughts on this? Is this the normal price for the 20 hour service? Am I way off in my initial reaction to this? This just rubs me the wrong way and seems a little funny.

Love to hear from anyone out there with any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks
Kevin

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Sounds to me like yor dealer is sticking it to you. Oil $20, filter $16and fuel filter $15(Buy an extra fuel filter just for a spare in your boat for bad gas; ten mins to change) labor maybe $75 (Just a guess) I do mine own service and all of this maybe 30 min- 45 min tops. The fuel filters for my 21V are kinda hard to find 1/2 inch ports. Yours may be different.

riveredge
07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think the dealer is out of line - part of the deal with warranties (usually) is maintaining the vehicle according to the manufacturer's schedule. It sounds like Supra is a little flexible on that, but the dealer is doing a lot more than just changing fluids and filters. They probably have to check every wire connection they can find, every hose clamp on water and fuel lines, engine mount bolts, belt tension, alternator output, who knows what all else is on the checklist. Then the trailer - checking lugs with a torque wrench, checking bearings, greasing hubs, all of this takes some time and it adds up. The tech isn't just walking out to the boat and walking away 45 minutes later all done. He has to collect his tools and materials, maybe even get a laptop or something to checkup on the engine's electronics - that's part of a Honda outboard 20 hour service - and then you plug it into the computer back in the shop and print out a health report.
All I'm saying is the manufacturer is bound to be more lenient in the future with warranty items if you can show that you followed every suggestion of theirs to maintain your vehicle properly. I know lots of people do their own maintenance with no issues but with a new boat I'd be bringing it to the dealer - if they do find anything wrong beyond the routine checks, it'll be covered by warranty anyway.

klewis
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Like I said if they do thoroughly check every connection, etc. I can totally see how long that would take and I know I dont have that kind of time myself.

I am just having trouble getting over the idea of paying to check for manufacturing defects that should have been caught at the factory (I know they can't catch everything) and if they werent will be covered anyway. I do see a manufacturer being more lenient if you follow all the suggested schedules like riveredge said.

Anyone else have an opinion either way? I'm on the fence here. I do know this should be the only time a major check over is neccesary, so I am somewhat ok with spending this kind of money once for a thorough check over. I can do the rest of the minor maintenance like oil myself.

I wonder if it would be better done at the end of the summer after I've put more water time on her?

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I know lots of people do their own maintenance with no issues but with a new boat I'd be bringing it to the dealer - if they do find anything wrong beyond the routine checks, it'll be covered by warranty anyway.

Let's just say the three times I took my boat to the dealer I had to repair things that the service techs had damaged or did not reconnect. Also I agree that the boat should have been checked out at the place of origin and the dealer before they release it. Furthermore I disagree with taking my new boat somewhere and it takes 2-3 days to do a 45 min job!!!!!!!!!

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Anyone else have an opinion either way? I'm on the fence here. I do know this should be the only time a major check over is neccesary, so I am somewhat ok with spending this kind of money once for a thorough check over. I can do the rest of the minor maintenance like oil myself.

I wonder if it would be better done at the end of the summer after I've put more water time on her?

For that price the dealer should send a mobile service out.

Salty87
07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
not that i'd necessarily pay it either but you should be checking things like the torque on bolts (risers/mani's, etc.) and shaft alignment whether new boat or replacing old parts on old boat. who knows what dealers are really doing though. expensive cya i guess.

riveredge
07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I had to repair things that the service techs had damaged or did not reconnect. Also I agree that the boat should have been checked out at the place of origin and the dealer before they release it.

It sounds like the techs where you're going are not very careful... that doesn't speak for all shops. Of course the boat is checked at the factory, and at the dealer but after some use, things need to be checked again, and possibly adjusted. Also I don't see how you are calling a complete top to bottom check over and fluid/filter change, including the trailer, a "45 minute job." Just repacking and adjusting my stuffing box last night took 45 minutes, start to finish, when you consider I have to take the boat out on the water to make sure it's adjusted properly, not to mention uncovering the boat, taking the engine cover out, removing the floor piece, and doing all this again in reverse when I'm done. I'm sure you could ask, and get a detailed list of what they check, change, and adjust, and maybe most of it you can just do yourself. It's probably in the manual, actually, at least I have seen it in Correct Craft manuals.

Furthermore I disagree with taking my new boat somewhere and it takes 2-3 days to do a 45 min job!!!!!!!!!
With most repair shops, you can drop a vehicle off and have it done at a previously scheduled time. If your shop takes 2-3 days to complete a job that takes a few hours, it sounds like they're overpromising and underdelivering, which again is the fault of that particular shop.

Nothing personal here, I'm just arguing one side - and no, I don't work for that dealer or something...

DKJBama92Mariah
07-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Riveredge ----Get a hobby you have to much time on your hands... BOO!

HEY! Be nice guys. Remember we're all friends here.

The only way i would pay my local dealer (not Supra) $400 is if they promised to never ever touch my boat as long as they lived. I'm just like that though, and they really suck.

That being said, $400 is pretty out there for an oil change, fuel filter, and EFI scope. Are they gonna give you a complimentary reach-around?

Labor should be $75-90 and hour, It's $80 here in armpit Alabama. An hour of labor for the oil change and the fuel filter change. Materials here shouldn't exceed $50-75 for this. Another hour for the inspection, tops. This is a pleasure boat, not an Aegis Cruiser.

You'd be surprised what an experienced mechanic can accomplish in an hour with a shop full of tools at his disposal.

riveredge
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
DKJ - thank you. I do have to agree $400 seems high, though I understand the quote for the reasons I stated above. I also know what an experienced mechanic is capable of, as I am the general manager of a marina. I do think that the OP kevin in this case could probably perform a through check-over himself, with the exception of the ECM/ECU computer checkup, whatever you want to call it, and that this would save the $400 and any potential hassles with the dealer. All I'm saying is that the dealer's mechanics should ideally be very thorough and knowledgeable; also, in the real world in mid-summer at a working marina, jobs that would appear at face value to be simple can take some time to complete correctly and thoroughly. The first time you take the interior apart in a new boat is going to take more time because you don't know the boat and you don't want to hurt it... etc. anyway it's ultimately up to the owner how to care for the boat, and I'm just giving my opinion. FoilTech, if you have a problem with me taking the time to write thoughtful posts, that's your problem. I think we can both give useful, helpful input though and let's keep it to that.

riveredge
07-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow, dude what is your problem? If you had started the thread, would you be criticizing me for my input then? See if I ever help you out...

klewis
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Foiltech please chill on Riveredge. I asked for thoughts either way and that is what I wanted. People need to feel comfortable giving their opinion on here whether people agree or not. If they dont, then this message board will get used less and end up not being the great support community it is. Thanks for yours and everyone elses opinion on my question, it's much appreciated.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
People need to feel comfortable giving their opinion on here whether people agree or not. If they dont, then this message board will get used less and end up not being the great support community it is. Thanks for yours and everyone elses opinion on my question, it's much appreciated.

Well said. Opinions are what makes this forum what it is. Personal attacks, flaming, and trolling only hurt it and turn people away.