PDA

View Full Version : Big Packing Leak

wardon
07-10-2008, 11:29 PM
2000 Launch started to take on water last summer. This year it is now taking 15 min of bilge running when she stays at pier overnight. Must run bilge every 30 min when running engine. Where do I get re-packing kit? Can the problem just be a needed tightening? Thx

DKJBama92Mariah
07-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Have you ever adjusted the packing nut?

If not you need to tighten the packing nut. Just about the only way the packing goes bad is when the packing is OVERtightened and it overheats

Here's how to adjust the packing nut. With the boat in the water, loosen the jam nut and tighten the packing nut until you get a drip about every 30-45 seconds (some people say 1-2 drips a minute, about the same thing). Then while holding the packing nut with a wrench, tighten the jam nut against it.Go run the boat and adjust again as necessary.

When you have to keep tightening down on the packing nut a couple of times a season to keep the leaking under control, then its time for new packing rope. Just to let you know how long the stuff lasts, My boat is a 92 and has been through 2 shafts, 2 struts, and a rudder and I'm still using the original packing.

Discount Inboard Marine http://www.skidim.com is a great place for all parts for the mechanical systems of your boat. They have the standard packing rope which is impregnated with some sort of wax. They also have a synthetic packing rope made with Gore-tex (the stuff the put in waterproof boots) that is supposedly almost drip-free. I have some; it's on the "list," but I just haven't gotten around to installing it.

Between skidim.com and knowledge available on this & other forums, just can just about fix everything on these boats yourself.

Morphix
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I do agree with Bama on adjusting the packing nut and see what your results are.. My only question is Wardon, does the water acctually leak out of the packing nut when the boat is off and not running?.... You shouldn't be taking water at all while the boat is just sitting there without the shaft spinning... If that is where the leak is, I wouldn't suspect the packing since really the packing should only be dripping while the shaft spins, however replacing packing isn't a bad Idea. I put the Gore-Tex stuff from skidim.com in my 92 comp, it is some awesome stuff, I got it to the point of 1 drip every 4 mins or so.. if that much. None the less, it works great. Just make sure your shaft doesn't get too hot when you run it, what i do is ride my comp nice and hard, check the drips and the tempreature, then give the nut a turn or so, and check it again..The shaft will get luke warm which is fine.. but if it's hot, yeah that's bad. Basically you want to keep the shaft luke warm, no warmer, With as little drips as possible. At the end of the day when I pull my boat out I check my shaft.. and if it is still a good temp. Then I know I hit the sweet spot. Either way just make sure to get the right size packing.

wardon
07-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Thx for the info. Am pretty good with boats but I don't know where the jam nut or packing nut is located. When looking at shaft meeting the hull, which is which? Thx for ur help.

Salty87
07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
good catch morphix on the overnight leak.

i'd leave the bilge on auto, wardon. that's a bunch of water.

Pdowling1
07-13-2008, 08:57 AM
The jam nut is to the rear, closer to the propeller end on the shaft.

girlsgirlsgirls
07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
i am having the same problem. i have noticed the packing log nut area leaking water. quite a bit actually. my only question is, is there a special tool to loosen the nut. I tried to get a crescent wrench in there, but there is no room. any special tools needed? it is an 05 21v launch.

riveredge
07-22-2008, 09:28 AM
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WRENCH

you may have to take up a panel in the floor to get enough room to adjust it? Sorry I"m not familiar with that particular boat... but I do know v-drives can be a PITA to get at the stuffing box. There's also a plumbing tool you could maybe get at a hardware store that looks basically like a crescent but the mouth opens way up (like 2" or more)... it's a plumbing tool. It is short-handled though and could probably get in there where there's not much space. Two of those might just do it?

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Riveredge beat me to it. That wrench he posted will work. As he said taking that floor panel out will make it easier to get to.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I do agree with Bama on adjusting the packing nut and see what your results are.. My only question is Wardon, does the water acctually leak out of the packing nut when the boat is off and not running?.... You shouldn't be taking water at all while the boat is just sitting there without the shaft spinning... If that is where the leak is, I wouldn't suspect the packing since really the packing should only be dripping while the shaft spins, however replacing packing isn't a bad Idea. I put the Gore-Tex stuff from skidim.com in my 92 comp, it is some awesome stuff, I got it to the point of 1 drip every 4 mins or so.. if that much. None the less, it works great. Just make sure your shaft doesn't get too hot when you run it, what i do is ride my comp nice and hard, check the drips and the tempreature, then give the nut a turn or so, and check it again..The shaft will get luke warm which is fine.. but if it's hot, yeah that's bad. Basically you want to keep the shaft luke warm, no warmer, With as little drips as possible. At the end of the day when I pull my boat out I check my shaft.. and if it is still a good temp. Then I know I hit the sweet spot. Either way just make sure to get the right size packing.

Morphix is correct here; at least way more correct than what I said. Good catch buddy!