PDA

View Full Version : 2004 launch 22 ssv bogging

dpike
08-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Hey guys. Just purchased a 2004 launch ssv about a week ago. The boat is in mint condition with about 250 hrs. Took the boat out for the first time this past weekend. It ran and operated perfectly until I got down to about a 1/4 tank of gas. It would start bogging down while cruising around 20 to 25 mph. If i backed of the throttle, it would do perfect. Get back up to speed and it would start to bog again after about 10 to 20 seconds. So i put about 10 gallons in at the marina. After that, we road around for about another hour or so with no issues. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

secondsupra2004
08-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Hey guys. Just purchased a 2004 launch ssv about a week ago. The boat is in mint condition with about 250 hrs. Took the boat out for the first time this past weekend. It ran and operated perfectly until I got down to about a 1/4 tank of gas. It would start bogging down while cruising around 20 to 25 mph. If i backed of the throttle, it would do perfect. Get back up to speed and it would start to bog again after about 10 to 20 seconds. So i put about 10 gallons in at the marina. After that, we road around for about another hour or so with no issues. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Here is link talking about the anti-siphon valve in the fuel line. maybe this is your issue. Worth a check.
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?19038-Fuel-return-line-health-and-anti-syphon-valve&highlight=anti+siphon+valve

MJHKnox
08-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Finding a 2004 Launch SSV with 250 hrs is a great find, but did you get maintenance records?
Some owners that do not use boats that much will also not keep up on maintenance.

If you know how old the gas is, that's good. Otherwise I would get new gas into the system. Try using 100% fuel if possible.

I would change out the fuel filter too.

secondsupra2004
08-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Finding a 2004 Launch SSV with 250 hrs is a great find, but did you get maintenance records?
Some owners that do not use boats that much will also not keep up on maintenance.

If you know how old the gas is, that's good. Otherwise I would get new gas into the system. Try using 100% fuel if possible.

I would change out the fuel filter too.

All good advise. Bought my 04' last year with 302 hours. It wasn't abused, but not maintained like I normally would. I spent many hours going thru it and replacing a lot of parts and cleaning the entire inside. It had been stored outside at a consign lot and even with it being covered there was a lot of mildew we had to clean up.

dpike
08-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. I do have all the maintenance records from when it was new. When I tested it on the water before I bought it, it had no hesitation issues and it had about a 1/4 of a tank as well. We where probably on the water then for about 1hr. Last weekend, I filled the tank up. It took a little over 28 gallons. so 12 still in it from the previous owner. Like I said though, It did not give me the first problem until it was close to 1/4 tank. Total of about 8 hrs last weekend before it started to hesitate. I did use gas with ethanol when I filled up. I did read the link you posted MJHKnox. I have not checked my fuel line yet.
kinda of confused on which hose, fuel feed or return?

dpike
08-16-2020, 09:24 PM
Update. Took it out today. It started running rough around 3000rpms after a couple of hours on the lake. Same as it did showing a quarter of a tank. This time it had about 3 quarters of a tank. After it started, if I back off the throttle below 2500 rpms, no issue...... I checked the fuel feed pipe and it looks good. The screen on the end is clean and cracks.....????

Turbinesurgeon
08-16-2020, 11:01 PM
Is this a fuel injected motor? I’d check the fuel pump and fuel regulator. Also worth checking is the fuel tank vent lines. Check distributor cap and rotor as well. Replace ones with brass and not the crappy aluminum ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpike
08-17-2020, 11:16 AM
It is FI. So when it started acting up, I did loosen the gas cap to see if it made a difference wondering if it was vent related. It didnt change a thing. I have seen posting having similar issues and talking about replacing the TPS. Have you heard of that?

secondsupra2004
08-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Update. Took it out today. It started running rough around 3000rpms after a couple of hours on the lake. Same as it did showing a quarter of a tank. This time it had about 3 quarters of a tank. After it started, if I back off the throttle below 2500 rpms, no issue...... I checked the fuel feed pipe and it looks good. The screen on the end is clean and cracks.....????

What is a fuel feed pipe? Do you mean the high pressure line coming from the pump to the throttle body or the feed line from the tank to the pump? What screen are you talking about? In the tank? Did you change the fuel filter yet? Mine did not originally have one so I plumbed one in.

dpike
08-17-2020, 02:24 PM
I'm changing the fuel filter today. The fuel feed line is the line inside the tank. It has a screen on the bottom of the pipe for trash I assume.

secondsupra2004
08-17-2020, 04:36 PM
I'm changing the fuel filter today. The fuel feed line is the line inside the tank. It has a screen on the bottom of the pipe for trash I assume.

Hopefully that does the trick. If, not you will need to get more in depth on the troubleshooting. You really need to check fuel pressure at the schrader valve located on the high pressure fuel line, but you will need a gauge. It could possibly be the TPS, MAP sensor, ignition control module etc. I bought a scanner for mine this year to check for codes and view live data while its running. $500.00 bucks thru Rinda Technologies. They make an inexpensive code reader also for $60.00. You will need to get the list of codes off the net to see what may be stored in the computer. I keep cars,boats, motorcycles a long time, so it was worth it to me to buy the scanner. One trip to the dealer would be a whole lot more than that.
You may also have a really crappy batch of gas that needs to be burned out.

dpike
08-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the help. Stupid question. Where is the hook up for the scanner located?

secondsupra2004
08-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the help. Stupid question. Where is the hook up for the scanner located?

The scanner hookup is on the back of the engine (toward the bow since you have a V-drive). It’s a multiwire connector with a waterproof cap on it. FYI,
an automotive scanner will not work on these.

secondsupra2004
08-17-2020, 09:48 PM

See photo. The one plug in my hand is a fuse holder and the one by my thumb is the diagnostic connector.19344

dpike
08-18-2020, 02:03 PM
The code reader you referred to, is it pretty small called winky blinky? lol

dpike
08-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Also, if the engine is getting to hot, could it cause this issue? Mine seems to run around 180-185.

secondsupra2004
08-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Yes, that is the code reader.

secondsupra2004
08-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Also, if the engine is getting to hot, could it cause this issue? Mine seems to run around 180-185.

Anything is possible, but I doubt thats the problem. These engines came with a 160° thermostat. It could be running a little warm, or the gauge is not accurate. 180-190 should not throw any codes or put the engine in reduced power mode.

dpike
08-20-2020, 10:38 AM
Ok. Thank you. I forgot to say that right before it started bogging down this last time, it started having a heavy vibration on accelerating but would stop after easing back on the throttle. It had a similar vibration when I bought it, replaced the prop and it went away. Any ideas?

secondsupra2004
08-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Ok. Thank you. I forgot to say that right before it started bogging down this last time, it started having a heavy vibration on accelerating but would stop after easing back on the throttle. It had a similar vibration when I bought it, replaced the prop and it went away. Any ideas?

Hmmm. Why did you replace the prop before? Did you hit something? What does the prop look like? Any damage? Did you check the prop shaft to see if it was bent? You could possibly have a misalignment problem, but it wouldn't have gotten better with a new prop. I think there's something going on with the engine causing the bogging/vibration.

dpike
08-21-2020, 11:46 AM
The old prop had a couple of dings on it. I have not had a vibration until the this past Sunday.

dpike
08-21-2020, 01:25 PM
I just order the windy blinks. Hopefully that will something if there is something going on engine related.

jaywidhalm
08-22-2020, 01:01 PM
I had a similar bog in my 2008 a few years ago with only about 200 hours on it. It was literally dirty/corroded contacts in the cap and rotor. I took it off and cleaned them up with a green scotch pad, and it fixed the problem. I replaced my plugs too, but that was probably not necessary and they were kind of pricey. I didn’t have a vibration though. It was very hit and miss too, like you are describing, so was hard to duplicate. But, it might be worth checking out for a cheap/free fix.

dpike
08-24-2020, 05:22 PM
updated..... replaced the ignition coil and it solved the bogging i believe. Checked my prop again a little closer this time and found 2 fines bent. I coundnt tell until i checked it moving......prop was 3 weeks old.

dpike
09-04-2020, 03:50 PM
I took the boat out this past Tuesday. It ran perfectly. New prop and new ignition coil. No more bogging(ignition coil) and more vibration(new prop).

secondsupra2004
09-04-2020, 04:53 PM
I took the boat out this past Tuesday. It ran perfectly. New prop and new ignition coil. No more bogging(ignition coil) and more vibration(new prop).

Great news. Enjoy whats left of the season.