PDA

View Full Version : 1987 PCM 351 with Velvet Drive slipping

Centurion1987
07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey guys,

New to this forum...need some help with my tranny. So it worked for about 4 1/2 hours the other day on the lake when I noticed it started slipping while pulling a wakeboarder. Nursed it back to the dock and put it on the trailer. There was tranny fluid in the bilge, so I flushed the fluid and refilled it the next day and we were back on the water. This time we lasted about 1 1/2 hours before the tranny did the same thing. This time I was checking the bilge frequently, and it seems like it doesn't leak until it overheats??? Is this just an oil cooler problem or am I looking at a rebuild here? If so, does it sound like just seals or do I need to dig deeper? Las thing I'd like to do it myself but have no manual. Any help would be awesome...already learned a tone from this forum!

Christian

riveredge
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd check in at CorrectCraftFan.com on their forum too - they have some guys on there who work on transmissions for a living (or sound like they do) and could probably help you out...

ngavchris
07-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Check with skidim.com. My transmission and drive shaft were not aligned properly from the factory. After continous running of the boat is caused a part to fail in the trans. Skidim has the manauls and helped walk us thru the rebuild. Running great ever since.

87 Sunsport
07-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Like Salty says, go for the simple fix;

Some times the small rubber o-ring in the linkage fails. Mine did, and I filled the bilge with fluid just from a small nick. It's easy to disconnect the transmission cable and slide out the steel cylinder and inspect the gasket.