PDA

View Full Version : 86 Sunsport Windshield Question

dfro
10-19-2020, 04:13 PM
Hi All,

First post. Amazed at all the resource this forum has provided. I picked up a decent condition 86 sunsport a few weeks ago and am working through a few light modifications and overall cleanup. One thing I'd like to do is remove these aluminum channels I've pictured below. They go from the top of the windshield to the back seat area. I see newer boats have a different side window in place of this long piece of aluminum. On my boat it's not well attached and a very tempting grab bar when getting in and out of the boat on the trailer. Does anyone know the original purpose of these?

Mischief IV
10-19-2020, 11:05 PM
It was just for design.

I love the look of it. Most don’t. They are not grab bars for sure.

Cut bar off at the top of window and then apply teak over it. Same for rear holes.

Mischief IV
10-20-2020, 12:32 AM
Meant to add to earlier comment above but forgot.

Design was such that with a skilled driver you could spin boat on a dime and with an even more experienced skier, he could do a 360 around the boat without rope getting hung up on anything.

Again, forward thinking design for 1980s. Very rare for a 1986 Sunsport to have this design. However, I’ve seen a few Sunsports with the rails, but it was mainly relegated to the Riders which went away after 1986. By 1987, you won’t find any Supras with the rails.

dfro
10-22-2020, 12:56 PM
I knew they had to have a purpose. Really cool feature and a trick I didn't even know was possible but not really useful on my boat without a ski pole. Some teak trim to cover up the hole at the top was just what I was thinking.