PDA

View Full Version : steering issues

wotan2525
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey guys -- I need help as this is one of the few things on the boat I haven't replaced/repaired. My steering has always been stiff, but lately it feels like there is something directly behind the steering wheel that shifts or turns before the rudder moves. Like.... the steering wheel will be stuck, I'll turn it, hear something in the dash go full-lock, and once that "thing" hits full-lock the rudder will turn. If I turn back the other direction, the "thing" slips again, hits full-lock and then turns the rudder.

I dont know what the box on the backside of the steering wheel is or how I prevent it from slipping? Any thoughts? Can this be lubricated?

Thanks

Salty87
07-17-2008, 10:03 AM
i haven't messed with my steering in a really long time so i'm going from memory (yikes). mine used to have a dead spot where you could turn the wheel but the rudder didn't move, didn't matter which way you were turning the wheel.

behind the dash is called the helm unit or something, its basically a big gear that feeds the cable out and winds it in as you steer. you're probably right that this is where your problem is. most old oem cables can't be greased, you'll just have to look for zirks.

if you haven't already replaced it, i would. it's night and day difference in the handling of the boat getting a new one. steer with 1 pinky. i'm pretty sure i got a kit including the helm and cable, skidim as always.

wotan2525
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow... it's not even that much money from them.... I thought the whole kit was more in the $400 range. I just emailed them asking about the size.... I wonder if I can find a kit locally and get it in before this weekend.

Rob

klewis
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
It depends on what you have in your area for parts availability. It might cost you more too at your local shop versus skidim online, but ya you could then get started right away. As for length, if you want to be sure you get the right one I'd say pull the old one out and measure it first. It should only take you 15-30min to get the old one out. Make sure you also inspect the gear at the back end of the steering column if you are getting a miss in the steering. It's most likely fine, but just in case you have to order a new steering column too.

It's a pretty straightforward job to do. One tip I can give is to tie a 3/8" or smaller line to the end of the cable where you disengage it from the tiller arm. That way when you pull the old cable out you can just tie the new one to the line and pull it back through. It only takes one person to pull it out, but putting the new one in is easier with two people. One to pull on the line and the other to feed it. On my old Malibu it had a sharp corner to make and two people were necessary.

Other than that it should just be 4 bolts under the dash to remove the rack from the steering column and a bolt back at the tiller arm.

You will be so glad you did this as it will be night and day on how easy it is to turn.

Good luck! You could alwasy take pictures of the process and post them for the next person that has to do this job.

IUFAN24
07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
87 Sunsport - does anybody know what length of steering cable I would need? I figure to just order the whole package from SKI DIM. My is very difficult to turn, especially left.

wotan2525
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Ordered the whole thing from Ski Dim -- shoot them an email and they'll already know what length you need. For the saltare it was 18' -- used the discount code USA and got 10% off and a small discount on shipping.

Those guys are great.....