PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level Beeper...

Morphix
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a 1992 Supra Comp which has an oil level sensor, well this sensor is driving me nuts. To the point that I am going to take a screw driver and put it through the speaker making the beeping noise. This sensor is supposed to tell me when my oil level is low.. well my oil level is full(just a tad over full) according to the dipstick, ive checked it probably 10 times while this beeper goes on and off(depending on the angle/movement of the boat).

My question is, does anyone know a non violent or destructive method of getting this thing to be quiet or even better does anyone know how I can fix this?

critterCQB
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
In my opinion, it's non-essential equipment. Just another thing for the dealer ro put on the sticker.

Morphix
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Agreed, my 84 Supra comp didn't have a sensor... didn't need it. I check my oil a few times a season anyways... so I could care less for a buzzer telling me that my oil is low. Chances are, I already knew it before it did. I just figure if there is some sort of remedy or a $10 fix, it would be worth it for me, I'd like to keep everything as perfect as possible.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a 1992 Supra Comp which has an oil level sensor, well this sensor is driving me nuts. To the point that I am going to take a screw driver and put it through the speaker making the beeping noise. This sensor is supposed to tell me when my oil level is low.. well my oil level is full(just a tad over full) according to the dipstick, ive checked it probably 10 times while this beeper goes on and off(depending on the angle/movement of the boat).

My question is, does anyone know a non violent or destructive method of getting this thing to be quiet or even better does anyone know how I can fix this?

Unplug it.

What make is the motor, pcm or indmar? Oil level or oil pressure? There could be an oil level sender, but I haven't heard of one on a '92 motor. I am wrong pretty often though.

Morphix
07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
It defnitely could be the oil pressure, I just assume it is the oil level. I believe my oil pressure is just a tad below at 20 when it starts it's beeping, the needle bounces a round a litte bit on the gauge when the boat is either idling or in neutral.. even in forward gear the beeper would sound... the beeping isnt consistent at all though.. it would go for example "beep..beep......................bee..e.........eee .......e...e.......eeep" (the ...'s indicating time). So its either very inconsistent, sensitive or screwed up.

Anywho, lets say it is the pressure which i assume it is now that you mention it. What would you suggest?

Morphix
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Oh and its PCM, 351w with a 1.23:1 PCM Trans

Salty87
07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
my amp meter does pretty much the same thing. i unplugged one of the wires going to the buzzer. i don't know why it was buzzing, it ran fine.

Morphix
07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I guess that sucker is getting unplugged tonight. Thanks guys.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Mine used to do the same thing. I had the beeper unhooked for a coupla years before i got around to actually finding the problem. My culprit was the voltmeter. It took rewiring the power and ground to all the gauges behind the dash. From the factory, these wires are daisychained from one gauge to the next. With age the terminals loosen and become corroded, ever so slightly increasing resistance, lowering voltage, and causing bad readings. By the end of the chain, thats a lot of connections to cause a voltage drop. IIRC, the beeper box is also connected to the terminals on the back of the gauges. A nutdriver sized to the nuts on the gauge posts is very helpful here; I think i remember it being 5/16"

jasonba1
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I also have a 92 comp and it does the same exact thing. Also my fuel level light comes on off from time to time to . I think I am just going to disconnect mine. However without having to rewire everything until winter if someone finds a easy solution let me know as well to.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Jason

DKJBama92Mariah
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Also my fuel level light comes on off from time to time to . I think I am just going to disconnect mine. However without having to rewire everything until winter if someone finds a easy solution let me know as well to.
Jason

My fuel gauge does the same thing. I just live with it and stop the boat when i want to check fuel level. Even then it's not accurate.

You can unplug the beeper box until the offseason, just keep an eye on those gauges.

Syntek
08-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I have a similar problem on a 1990 comp that I just got in the water. As soon as the ignition is on the beeper sounds continuously and oil light stays on. I have checked oil and levels are all fine. What can I do to stop the 'Beeeeeeep' its driving me nuts. As the light is also on does this mean it could be a faulty censor or something?

Any help much appreciated.