PDA

View Full Version : No Spark - 89 351 w/ e.i.

riveredge
07-23-2008, 09:05 AM
So we have a 1989 pcm 351, taken out of an 89 Bravura last july - running fine. Then transplanted into an 89 comp, tried to get it running... ran like crap. So new cap, rotor, points, condenser, wires, plugs, and rebuilt carb. Now, no spark. We had an EI module from another 89 351 that was running when it was removed from the boat it was in (but had one bad cylinder)... installed that in place of the points/condenser, still no spark.

So my questions are: what to test? How to test the coil? We have used the resistorless coil from the engine that had the EI module on it, and bypassed the ballast resistor. We had no spark with the old coil using the resistor inline, and tried a couple other coils and still nothing.

I posted this on CCFan also, but I know there's a lot of good knowledge here too!

Thanks in advance...

Salty87
07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
do you have the tranny switch wired up?

other than that, all i know to do is see if you're getting voltage to the coil, slave solenoid, etc.

riveredge
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
neutral safety switch is wired; actually the boat won't turn over w/o that (we tested that). Voltage to the coil is good. I think I'm getting a new coil from Napa or something today to try that out.

riveredge
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
It turns out it was a bad EI module. I borrowed a pertronix setup and it worked right away. I had ordered a new EI unit anyway so it's going in as soon as it shows up.