PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft Removal - Help!

boppin929
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I have an 06 Launch 20, which I just hit a stump with. The shaft, strut, and Prop need to be replaced. I have removed the Strut and the prop but can't get the Shaft out. I separated the Collar from the transmission, but can't get the shaft out of the Collor. The end of the shaft that is in the collar is threaded and appears to have a bolt on the end, but there is no way to get a Socket in there. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

DKJBama92Mariah
07-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Ok, If the prop and strut are off, what is keeping you from sliding the shaft out until the coupler (what you called collar) hits the stuffing box nut? That should give you enough room to get a socket in there.... or is the stuffing box just SO close that you don't have room?

If that is the case, you have a problem because the engine and transmission gonna have to move. Not easy, but its doable; especially in a direct-drive inboard.

Post back with some more details and we can walk you through it.

Salty87
07-24-2008, 09:07 AM
there are probably set screws going through the coupler into the side of the shaft. my shaft isn't threaded into the coupler, just a b!tch to get apart. the tolerance between the 2 is so small you'll have to back the coupler off evenly. if yours is threaded on, can you put the coupler bolts back in and get something on the shaft to turn it?

leetudor
07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
You might have to get a socket and cut it off some so it becomes shorter to make it fit.

wotan2525
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
It sounds like you have the "new-style" of coupler. When I rebuilt my engine/boat/drivetrain I installed this type of coupler but the engine was out of my boat at the time. Give these guys a call.... they actually manufacture the propshaft, nuts, and coupler for all of the mfgs. They are pretty knowledgeable and have always helped me. (And they are just down the street from me.)

http://www.marineassociates.com/page32.html

DKJBama92Mariah
07-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Also, there is always the sawzall option; I just wouldn't try with one of those ninny battery powered jobs though. Need something with cord, a $hitload of metal cutting blades, and a half case of beer cause it might take all afternoon.

boppin929
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Ok, so I forgot to come back and post a reply after I figured my issue out. I did get the shaft replaces the day after my posting. Figure it is good to close out threads with a win that way in the future others can have an easier go at it.

The best way to get the shaft out on the 2006 Launch 20 was to just take a socket, cut a 1/4 of it off, place it into the coupler onto the nut that holds the shaft to the coupler, and then use a small monkey wrench (on the outside of the socket) with a pipe on the end for leverage to pull the nut off. I know this sounds Mickey Mouse, but there is just no room to get a socket with a wrench on the end of it into that tight space.

I had called the guys at the local shop and they suggested cutting that shaft in half inorder to get it out (they said that is the way they do it) but that still leaves you with no way to tighten the coupler onto the new shaft. Not to mention there is no way I was going to spray metal shavings all over my boat interior.

Thanks to all for suggestions.