PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Supra Sunsport Bent Rudder - repair options or source for used replacement

RuudDog
07-24-2021, 11:30 PM
Rough day at the lake. High winds pushed me into shallow water and my rudder bent sideways. I get my props repaired at Jim's Prop Shop in Denver and I will call there on Monday to see if he can repair bent rudders as well but looking for repair shop suggestions as well as a source for a used rudder if anyone would have one. I'll attach pictures so that if anyone has experience with this maybe they can tell me if it's bent too far to be repairable. Also, curious as to what a repair like this should cost. Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

michael hunter
07-25-2021, 07:09 AM
The prop shop should be able to straighten it.

Mischief IV
07-25-2021, 09:23 AM
I probably have several of these but any metal shop could bend that back into shape.

RuudDog
07-25-2021, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I know that last season Jim’s lead time on prop repairs was pretty lengthy but I’ll know more on Monday. I’d still like to use the boat this season. If he can’t get to the rudder repair soon and I can’t find a local metal shop to do it then I’ll check back with Mischief IV on seeing if I can buy one from you. Probably not a bad thing for me to have a spare rudder anyway.

CJD
07-25-2021, 12:19 PM
Yep, brass is infinitely repairable. They should check the post carefully for cracks, but other than that it is a straight forward job. Also, if he is backed up for too long, I would not have a problem running it that way for the remainder of the season.

RuudDog
07-25-2021, 01:10 PM
That's good to know (about just using it as-is for remainder of season). I wasn't sure if I would cause other problems or not by using it with it that bent. Hopefully it goes back together easier than it came apart. I hope I didn't mushroom the top of the shaft too much by how hard I had to hit it. I think it was hanging up either on the square key or the pinch pin while I was trying to get it out of the steering collar.

RuudDog
07-26-2021, 11:19 PM
Well, Jim’s Prop Shop doesn’t repair rudders anymore because he said they often break before they get completely straight. Metal shops in my area won’t repair it because it’s either a small job that they don’t want or they don’t have the ability to braze weld if needed. I guess I’m either going to need to source a used one or pony up the money for the whole new rudder and rudder box or run it as is. I bent it just prior to putting it in the trailer so I don’t know how it will work but I guess I’ll put it back together and give it a try. I can’t tell for sure but it might be cracked/torn at the base of the shaft so I don’t feel like it’s very safe to use it long term.

RuudDog
07-26-2021, 11:24 PM
I’ll probably check with General Propeller out of Florida tomorrow to see what they say about repair.

RuudDog
07-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Walked into a couple small machine shops today and they confirmed that the post is cracked and can’t be bent back into shape. Talked with Skidim and I know what to order but just checking one more time for anybody with a used rudder… Mischief IV? If not, then this was my $800 mistake of the season.

CJD
07-28-2021, 05:49 PM
Well Bummer. At least you found the crack before it broke off.

Mischief IV
07-28-2021, 09:04 PM
I’m at my lake house for the summer and don’t keep parts here but just bought a parts boat and it is here so I will check it tomorrow.
Just got your PM.

RuudDog
07-31-2021, 10:55 AM
Mischief IV I’m guessing you don’t have the rudder on your parts boat? I guess I’ll go ahead and order the new one. Thanks.

cadunkle
07-31-2021, 02:31 PM
I would be inclined to get a comparable size and shape rudder as original, rather than the small tournament ski boat rudder SkiDIM sells. I ended up going with a Mastercraft rudder, see my thread on replacement here: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?18402-Rudder-replacement

I'm glad I went with this large rudder, it is at least as good as the original so far as handling and the stuffing box is superior, with replaceable plastic inserts and o-ring rather than direct brass on brass and packing.

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/rudder-vdrive-std-13-14sef
https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/rudder-port-all-14-sef
https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/key-rudder-1-4in-x-3-4in-79-13

I do still have my original Saltare rudder. I don't know how much of the slop was in the rudder vs the port, but it is straight with no cracks and never hit anything so far as I know. Too much slop for me to be worth disassembling and repacking a worn out rudder port, but it would probably work for you at least to get through the season or whenever you get to replacing it.

RuudDog
07-31-2021, 04:28 PM
Hey cadunkle - that Saltare rudder looks identical to mine. But just to confirm is the shaft 1 1/8” diameter and 5 1/2” long and it’s keyed on the side that says “Supra” (or the port side)? If so, I’d love to buy it from you. I think all the rest of my steering parts are fine so I think it would last me a lot longer than just this season. If you want to send a direct message we can work out the details. Thanks a bunch!

cadunkle
08-11-2021, 10:19 PM
RuudDog, I hope the rudder worked out for you.

RuudDog
08-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Cadunkle - yes, thank you so much. “New” rudder you provided is installed and ready to test (hopefully this weekend). There’s a very small amount of play in it that I don’t think I had before so it’s possible that the rudder box was damaged just a little bit I think I’m good to go. Thanks again!