PDA

View Full Version : Replacement trailer advice

johnba
07-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok, I've seen the posts before with no response but thought I'd try anyway.

I have a 1989 Sunsport and the trailer is pretty rough. I have been looking at a replacement but new is pretty spendy. There are a couple of options I wanted to get input from folks on:

1. sandblast, paint and fab new fenders and side steps for my existing trailer
2. Buy a used trailer and have the bunks reconfigured to fit my boat

I've found a used trailer from a 93 Malibu F3 but I have no idea if even after reconfiguring the bunks it will work out because of the difference in the hull depth and such.

Anybody have any thoughts/recommendations? Better yet anybody have a good used trailer for sale that will fit my boat?

John

jasonba1
07-29-2008, 07:26 PM
So glad you posted this. I am in the same boat as you I need a trailer or fix a trailer for a 92 comp. I wish I could help you but I have no answers so I am hoping someone can help us both out.

johnba
07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Jason... I thought about it more today and I'm leaning towards rebuilding the one I have. New is way out of my price range, getting a used one from a different boat is going to take some work to reconfigure anyway...

The frame on mine is ok, just the fenders are gone and it needs painted and a new prop cage. It looks like I can put that all together and have it painted for quite a bit less than even buying another used one. I may even do a single axle to dual axle conversion while I'm at it.

Still hope to hear from folks out there if they have any experience with this or advice.

1suprassv
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I could be way off here with other manufacturers but my buddy's 89 Mariah sits perfect on my 02 trailer and my 02 Supra sat well enough on an 03 Nautique trailer to allow a short haul during a lake draw down. Sure the bunks would need to be coverted for full time but my guess is most of the trailers out there are fairly uniform with the exception of length based on your boat model and trailer found.

Salty87
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
yeah, fit doesn't have to be too exact. used trailers are so hard to find though, no doubt you could get yours fixed up before finding a good used one...that probably needs some sort of work too. nature of the best, trailers don't get the care that boats do.

Pdowling1
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Be careful with older trailers. I once noticed a rust spot on a 12 year old painted trailer. Turned out it was rusting from the inside, but still looked good on the outside. It was so rusted from within, I could take a hammer & punch holes in the frame. Needless to say, I never loaded my boat on it again.

jasonba1
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I actually think I am going to re do mine as well. Instead of paint though I am going to have it powder coated. Should last a little longer and be a little more duarble. My axle is being mad by SMP for 150.00