PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Foam - Exhaust pipes/Heat resistance

bsampson
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
In rebuilding the floor of my '86 Saltare, I'm using some new expanding, 2-part, urethane foam from US Composites. I've just allowed the foam to form around the exhaust pipes, as the original foam did.

Is there any risk of fire in doing this? I know it charred the old foam, but I just wanted to make sure this was the "standard practice."

Thanks,
Barry

riveredge
07-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Shouldn't be much of a problem, because the exhaust pipes back there do have water running through them (or should!) so it's not extremely hot. Might be worth reading up a bit on the new foam as far as temp. tolerance, but I think you should be ok.

Salty87
07-30-2008, 02:18 PM
give em a call. i did, can't remember what the answer was but i remember thinking the rest of the boat would be burning down first (exhaust hoses, etc) or just stalled from overheating.

bsampson
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys. That's what I needed :) I just wanted a second opinion.

riveredge
08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I'll tell you what not to do. Re-doing a transom a few years ago it was very very humid, so I put some lamps (regular 100 watt bulbs in cheap worklight housings) on the work area. Come back a few hours later, one lamp fell and was almost touching the already hot fiberglass, using polyester resin at a pretty strong mixture. The area behind the lamp was all black and charred, though not "on fire" per se. I came about that close to burning down the whole boat not to mention my garage with god knows what for explosive and flammable chemicals all over it. Never, ever, again will I make that kind of mistake; I can wait for the resin to cure.