PDA

View Full Version : 87 ts6m rudder removal ???

Medina Lake Ts6m
08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I have a 87 comp ts6m that I am having rudder trouble with. I have the rudder out and all 4 bolts out of the rudder box and have no packing nut. to hold the box together. I am having a problem with seperating the base from the hull and like wise the top box from the top side. Is there anything else holding? any ideas? Thanks!

DKJBama92Mariah
08-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Rudder box itself will be bonded to the hull with some sort of marine adhesive, likely 3M 5200. It may take a little heat and some prying to break it free. There is some stuff out there that dissolves the 5200, but I can't recall the name of it right now. I have also heard of using a guitar string as a saw working it back and forth between the hull and fitting.

TAKE NOTE. Be very cautious here. If the 5200 has a real good bite on the gelcoat underneath it it can take the gelcoat off the fiberglass with it.

Medina Lake Ts6m
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Thats cool! I like the guitar string idea I couldnt figure out what the hell to use but that makes sense along with some heat on that plate. However I do have the gas tank disconnected and out of the way in the boat but it is putting off some fumes so I think ill try without the torch for now but Ill give the string a shot. P.s it sounds like youve done this before and experienced the horror. And how do you like that prop? alot of ballast weight? Thanks, Mike

DKJBama92Mariah
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, keep any flame far away from the boat whilst fumes are around unless you just don't like the way your face is currently configured.

Actually, I haven't had to pull the rudder box yet; just the strut a coupla times. Funnily enough, I never had too much trouble with the strut, but then again the strut has something you grab hold of the get some leverage. I imagine the rudder box won't be nearly as easy.

The prop: I love it. I have never sacked my boat and no longer board due to knees and back. It definitely improves holeshot, really nice when I have a load of people. I went with the four-blade because they are known to be easier to keep balanced. The difference in smoothness was literally night and day; it felt like a new boat. My original 14x16 OJ Legend had about had it. It is now on spare duty so i'm not out of the boat for two weeks just from dinging the prop. So no, I didn't really NEED the 4-blade, but boy it sure is nice and I am very happy I bought it.

ACME CNC wakeboard props come VERY highly regarded as well. The reason I went with the OJ instead was because my prop repair guy told me the OJ had thicker blades that are less likely to be damaged by a debris strike. Whether you can beleive that, I dunno, but this is the guy that gets to pound the thing straight when I bend it so I let him make the call. There probably isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. However, if the ACME blades are indeed thinner, then the ACME will be slightly more efficient than the OJ at the expense of durability. What I would do is to just buy the brand that your local prop shop can/will work on so you don't have to ship the damn thing off every time you bend it. I actually bought mine through my prop guy, he had good prices and that way I keep my money local. I do have a long-standing working relationship with this guy though.

Medina Lake Ts6m
08-10-2008, 02:07 PM
What would you say your top speed is with that prop and rpm range? Btw I agree on the strut that was cake! God forbid you ever have to change that rudder or reseal it!

DKJBama92Mariah
08-20-2008, 03:02 AM
When the prop was brand new, I got 47mph @ 4400 rpms. Its got a few small dings in it now, so i'm getting 46 mph @ ~4250rpm. These are with ~3/4 tank of fuel and myself aboard. With 7 guests and a days worth beer for them, it'll run 43 or so.

My cruise speeds with just me in the boat are 27-28mph@2800RPM (secondaries fully closed for fuel efficiency) and 34-39mph@3200-3400 (fast cruise - secondaries partially open)

If you are in the market for this prop, I might be interested in selling mine. I carry much less weight now and don't need the huge punch off the line to bring her up on plane. I'd also like some more speed, so I'm thinking of a 3 blade CNC prop.

With regards to the rudder: 5 years ago I did the rudder, but didn't need to mess with the rudder box (Rudder port is actually the correct term, I fumbled on that one.) It still ain't completely right, I've just put off going back in there for 5 years because it doesn't leak.

Medina Lake Ts6m
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Had finally got that damn thing off about a week or two ago I actually was able to pry it up some from the top side then saw zawed through the port then it pulled through the bottom like a loose tooth. What a B@)$h I will never do that one again but at least its out without much dmg. I actually orderd that one from skidim the universal. All I had to do was drill the bore hole from 1.5 to 2. With a hole saw. Fun job with an existing hole. But if you know how to rig a piece of wood in the current spot it made it pretty easy. Rudder fits great!! Thank God! P.s I liked the guitar string method it does help and 5200 is redic!

Salty87
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
some weird stuff going on around here lately^^