PDA

View Full Version : Indmar 340hp starting problems

jonyb
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
This has happened twice, for no rhyme or reason...

Both times, when I turned the key to start the engine, the engine would start, idle at about 300rpm, then die, and won't restart. No matter how long or how many times the key turns, it won't start. I've checked the Schrader valve to make sure there was fuel pressure (fuel sprayed out), the fuel pump is priming just fine. In both instances, I've taken the bolts loose on the intake manifold, lifted it up just a little, then set it back down and then the boat will start. This happened around 2pm yesterday and the boat ran fine the rest of the day.

What's the deal?

sandm
08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I have been left stranded 5 times this year with the same issues, last thursday afternoon at the start of a long camping weekend, and sunday afternoon packing up, as the most recent examples. there are several threads on the moomba forums that detail this as vaporlock, and seems to be a little more prevalent on the cat motors from the extra heat. the quick fix is to douse water on the pump/filter and cool them off, but I have been trying to get ahold of reed this morning to see what the real fix is. very frustrating and embarassing to have it happen on the lake. seems to be partly to blame with the ethanol levels in fuel today, and I don't see that going away anytime soon so I would assume that there is a fix coming. have heard something about a second fuel pump to keep pressure and not allow the fuel to lock, but my dealer doesn't know anything about it.

I wonder if other boats are having the same issues or if it's just a design issue from supra/moomba and a simple re-routing of something would make it all go away.

jonyb
08-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Good luck with getting in touch with Reed. I have unresolved issues with him that I just let go. Piss-poor IMO!

What did you do to get the boat started? Same thing I did?

sandm
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
reed has been great for me to deal with. he is a hard one to get ahold of, but have not had any issues with him once on the phone.
he told me today to try the fuel filter, which I am not sure if it has ever been changed, so I am going to try it. apparently the vapor lock issue is more prevolent in the '07-08 boats. mine is an '06, so going that route first, then will press harder if it does not fix itself.
I just learned about the pouring water on the pump/filter fix last week. the other 3 times, we just sat and tried to start it, eventually successful 30 minutes later. the last 2 times, the water trick worked after around 10 minutes.

honestly though, I am about ready to head to the centurion dealer for a smoking deal on an enzo230. supra makes a nice wakeboard boat, but the surfing is 100% better on an enzo and thats all we do.

jonyb
08-04-2008, 11:21 PM
reed has been great for me to deal with. he is a hard one to get ahold of, but have not had any issues with him once on the phone.
he told me today to try the fuel filter, which I am not sure if it has ever been changed, so I am going to try it. apparently the vapor lock issue is more prevolent in the '07-08 boats. mine is an '06, so going that route first, then will press harder if it does not fix itself.
I just learned about the pouring water on the pump/filter fix last week. the other 3 times, we just sat and tried to start it, eventually successful 30 minutes later. the last 2 times, the water trick worked after around 10 minutes.

honestly though, I am about ready to head to the centurion dealer for a smoking deal on an enzo230. supra makes a nice wakeboard boat, but the surfing is 100% better on an enzo and thats all we do.

I've only brought up a few things to him and had to keep calling back. I finally gave up and never got the issue taken care of. It's in the "exhaust manifold and plastic fittings" thread, which I think is a pretty big deal. The dealer I bought from has given me even less support. I've called trying to buy parts from them and can't get them to call back, and I'm really easy to deal with.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts :D

tazz3069
08-05-2008, 12:31 AM
It seems that not only the Supras are having this problem. I had the same problem on my 07' LSV. I took it to the dealer and they install a second fuel pump. I have not had a problem since. I would talk to your dealer. They should fix the problem.

wolff
08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I had a couple of problems with my supra a lose ground and it not starting to what the dealer was saying a vapor lock.

I got the lose ground fix and a second fuel pump. It is a little noise if the boat is idling and the radio is off.

i have a 07 21V with the 325.

I put about 30hr on it and have not had another problem yet (knock on wood)..

DKJBama92Mariah
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
HELLO SUPRA! Wake up guys, these folks have bought brand new boats for probably way more than $50k and this is unacceptable. This should be fixed and fixed right the first time with no run-around from dealers or service-people. That's just good business. I will, however, refrain from another Indmar rant.