PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buddy Replacement?

jonyb
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
This Boat Buddy thing is junk! If you set the pin to catch when you load the boat, then the truck pulls the trailer out of the water, the bow loop pulls back against the pin and it's nearly impossible to release it next time you launch. Not to mention how well that rubber (that doesn't roll or move) holds the boat off the trailer. When the rubber binds against the fiberglass of the boat it gets in a bind and won't let the boat go any higher. I have to get my driver to back the boat down to wet the bunks, pull up to where the fenders are at water level, get the boat on the bunks so it's straight, pull the boat up to get the bow up in the air or the same angle as the trailer, back the trailer in further while motoring the boat up to the bow stop, then winch it up the rest of the way. It's seriously a PITA.

Now the big problem: The 2 upright pieces that the BB bolts to are bent, bad! I don't know what happened when it was loaded, but now it's bent so bad that it ruined the rubber part of the boat buddy.

Is there a good replacement for this? Maybe a small roller like everyone else uses?

sandm
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I have to agree on the boat buddy. good idea, not so well executed. I don't catch with mine at all, I drive up on the trailer and use the winch to tighten it up, then latch the boat buddy as an extra measure. when I drop, I release just prior to hitting the water and use the winch to hold the boat that last 5ft.. I have given up on it's intended use, and view it now more as a secondary safety latch in case the winch fails. kind of nice piece of mind in that respect..

personally, I would pony up the cash to replace it, then just use it as a secondary safety along with the winch.

dndsam
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I removed my Boat Buddy on my 1999 Legacy for the same reasons. It did not work well at all. I put on a Stolz non-marking roller to replace the Boat Buddy. I have been very happy with it.

jclose8
08-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Works perfect for me. I've had it on 3 boats now.

FoiltechLaunch21V
08-11-2008, 02:02 AM
No problem with my Boat Buddy it works just fine. Alot better than anything else I have had in the past. We launch and load my 21V six to seven times a week during ski season. Would not have anything else. I have 2 friends that have installed them on their MC and Nautique after using mine.

Water Dog
08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Just for the heck of it I'm on my third boat buddy, own stock in Cabela's now, but they have a fast ship time. I finally got serious and ticked at the same time: I shimmed the bunks up a tad, a little goes a long way here. Also dropped the boat buddy down a couple of inches with cut off wheel, grinder and drill. Works like butter now. I do notice on steeper ramps that I will leave less trailer in the water so the boat will line on the bunks and then when the boat is on, back further in. With a little practise this becomes a true art in motion. Very important note, the back of the boat has to be firmly on the rear bunks, if not, the bow will nose in under the boat buddy. This may require a little throttle power on steeper ramps, rather than just letting the boat float to its destination. Learning your frequented boat ramps helps with trailer depth placement also, my wife will watch for the trailer coming down the ramp, start slipping the boat in, and by the time I have the trailer in the water, she's on and we're out in less than a minute process, while everyone else is messin around tryin to load there boats. It's a beautiful thing, the loading, and my wife :)

jonyb
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I launch at the same ramp most of the time and it's not very steep. My wife couldn't do any better backing the trailer in. The problem is the dumbass pin and how the boat either gets in a bind pushing against the bow, or the pin gets in a bind because the boat has pulled back against it. I quit using the pin to solve one problem, but the boat pushes against the rubber and doesn't slide. A roller would be perfect. I'm going to the ramp today to fix this and I'll take pics.

Water Dog
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Yes I know what you're saying Jonyb, after we are out of the water & all loaded up, I will hook up the winch strap and crank her down tight. By the time we trailer the boat home the pressure from the strap has taken the pressure off the pin. If you don't crank the strap down, you wont be able to loosen the pin without a hammer and some love or put the boat back down in the water.

jonyb
08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I've tried that and it doesn't work. At all.....

jclose8
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I launch at the same ramp most of the time and it's not very steep. My wife couldn't do any better backing the trailer in. The problem is the dumbass pin and how the boat either gets in a bind pushing against the bow, or the pin gets in a bind because the boat has pulled back against it. I quit using the pin to solve one problem, but the boat pushes against the rubber and doesn't slide. A roller would be perfect. I'm going to the ramp today to fix this and I'll take pics.

To solve the problem of the hull binding against the gray plastic, I soak the gray plastic part with Armor All. This makes the plastic very slippery and lasts quite a while. It also helps to lube up the bunk boards with Armor All as well.

The way we do it, my wife backs the trailer down, and I drive the boat on. We err on the side of the trailer being farther out of the water rather than too deep. The worst that will happen if it is not deep enough is that the boat will stop short of the bow stop. If the trailer is in too deep, a few bad things can happen. Without enough solid contact with the bunks, the boat may not line up straight. The worst thing that can happen would be for the nose of the boat to come in under the bow stop.

Once the bow eye clicks in, and before pulling the truck forward, I climb up on the bow, reach over and secure the winch strap. Crank it up tight.

Have your wife pull forward to the tie down area and slam on the brakes a little when she stops. The combination of the tight winch strap and the sudden stop will allow the boat to move forward just a touch. Hop out of the boat and re-tighten the winch strap. The pin should move freely next time out.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. We don't even do the slam on the brakes thing and we still never have a problem. I think the key is to tighten the winch strap before pulling up the ramp.

Water Dog
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Why have the boat buddy if you need to hastle with the boat winch, I guess is an adequate question? The boat buddy is there for me to get the boat loaded and off the ramp as quickly as possible, plus it's very impressive to those stuck on the ramp hastling to get their boats loaded for 20 minutes. I don't throw the strap on until we are of the ramp and loaded to go. With the winch strap tight and road travel is enough to loosen the pressure on the pin or hitting the brakes as suggested. I will usually pull the pin set when I get home (Always use rear tie down straps for added-fail-safe boat stays on the trailer measures - saw a boat leave a trailer in the middle of an intersection once - pretty cool/wow factor - not for the owner though). Love the Amor All idea!!

jclose8
08-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Why have the boat buddy if you need to hastle with the boat winch, I guess is an adequate question?

I agree. You have a good point. If there are people waiting or watching, we just pull out as soon as the pin clicks. It's pretty impressive how quick we can load up. I love the look on people's faces!

If no one is waiting and we have the ramp to ourselves, I do the winch before we pull away. Either way, I've never had a problem with the pin getting wedged.

jikemones
08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I love mine, except for Perfect Pass it's at the top of the list for marriage savers. I always preset the pin and back the entire trailer in to wet the bunks and then pull out just so the water level is just above my front trailer tires. All you have to do is load the boat. Probably one of the best designed trailers I've ever used. My Nautique trailer was garbage compared to this. If you have a steep ramp and you have issues with compressing the pin all you need to do is once you have loaded the boat drive down the road and tap the brakes. It will release the pressure on the cross pin.

jonyb
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Evidently you guys have a perfect ramp. When I set the pin then drive away, I need a pry bar to pull the pin back out. That's my whole point about hating it, and also the reason that the pin and whole mechanism is in the bed of my truck.

when I pull the truck up the ramp, the boat pulls back against the pin making it impossible to remove it. People look at me the same way they do you guys, but they're kinda laughing because I can't get the pin removed to launch the boat.