PDA

View Full Version : Tight Steering

a86supra
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Advise please!!

I have a 1986 Supra that is a sweet heart. I have had it for 21 years. It has not been in the water for a year, so we took it out this weekend. On tight turns, like when you are picking up a skier, the steering was stiff. Does it need to be lubricated? If so...How? Give me any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Pdowling1
08-04-2008, 08:09 PM
It sounds like you may be overdue for steering cable.

wotan2525
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
I resisted this on my 87 for a long, long, long time... just put in a new helm and steering cable 2 weeks ago. It makes all the difference in the world.... some of the best $160 I've ever spent on this boat.

The directions suck and it's sort of a crappy job pulling the cable through.... but the results are SOOOO worth it.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I've had the same issue. I replaced the steering cable last year, but not the helm. I would go for a new helm but i've already blown my parts budget on a new Holley 4160 to replace my horrible 4010 and a PCM protec ignition retro kit. I just deal with it. Left hand turns above idle require both hands and quite a bit of muscle. Good luck

wotan2525
08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
The helm is actually somewhat serviceable. At least the one that came out of my boat was possible to be disassembled and cleaned/lubricated. The new style that I put in there is sealed and I don't believe it would be possible to lubricate or service it.

I also had to cut a larger hole in the dash to accommodate the different style helm.