PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers Out

griderhill
08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Can someone give me some idea's on why my tower speakers are not working. They were working early this year. My son did put his foot on the transom volume button and it sounded like the speakers may have blown a circuit. Is this possible? The amp light is red so it seems like it is getting power.

06 supra 24 ssv
Thanks

Seabeejamie
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
With power off, pull the tower speaker wires off of the amp and check with an ohmmeter. Should appear as a near short looking back towards the speakers. If it is open, you have a broken wire somewhere. Seeing as both are out (I am assuming from your post) check balance and fader on the deck as well as the pre-amp connection (rca cables) from the deck to the amp. If you have good power to the amp and output from the deck, you may have blown a channel(s) in the amp. The red light sounds like the power to the AMp is ok. you can look for a manual reset switch on the amp, buty most newer ones auto reset from an overload or heat condition.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Ususally a red light instead of a green on an amp tells you that the amp is in "protect" mode because there is a dead short in the speaker wires somewhere. Check the speaker wires from the amp to the tower speaker for any chafing; especially where the wires enter and exit the tower, they can chafe here and ground out to the tower. Also check that the wires aren't crossed as they come off the amp.

griderhill
08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will check out this weekend and see what I can come up this.

jonyb
08-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Ususally a red light instead of a green on an amp tells you that the amp is in "protect" mode because there is a dead short in the speaker wires somewhere.

The color depends on the amp, some are different.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
The color depends on the amp, some are different.

Very true.

BrAnDoN21
08-16-2008, 04:02 AM
our tower speakers were not working and we found out it was the amp. now we are running a 300 watt amp and it powers the tower speakers just fine. so look into the amp it is probley broken.