PDA

View Full Version : Battery tray drain hole?

critterCQB
08-10-2008, 01:26 PM
My '86 Comp collects water in the battery bucket after a heavy rain. Would it be possible for me to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the bucket? My thoughts are, it would drain the water straight into the bilge, but I dunno. I'm a bit hesitant.

Salty87
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
does your battry have a cover? it would be ideal that no water got in there to begin with. i've never had a battery leak anything but that wouldn't be great for the bilge, i don't think. def. not fun to clean up.

otoh, standing water under a battery is no good. a drain hole wouldn't be the end of the world, provided you're over the bilge. if you have a wet hull, the drain hole will let moisture get at your cables and connections though.

critterCQB
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the battey has a cover and the whole thing is cinched down. The last time it happened, I pulled the battery out and used a sponge to soak all the water out. I was surprised to see no drain hole.

My bilge usually stays pretty dry(thankfully). And I think that the bucket is far enough to the port side that if water did fill up that much, a wet battery would be the LEAST of my worries. Still not to sure...