PDA

View Full Version : thru hull transducer location?

wotan2525
08-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey guys... I tried to install a thru-hull depth finder a few weeks ago. Epoxied the puck in only to find that it doesn't work... I'm assuming there is interference or the fiberglass is too thick. On my 87 Saltare I mounted it in between the forward plug and then bilge pumps. Seemed like a cleanish area, but it no worky. I gotta mallet it out and then find a new place.... any suggestions?

Salty87
08-14-2008, 02:57 PM
it doesn't work at all? i'm thinking the tracking fins are interfering and that sounds a little too far forward. lots of wash and turbulence there, might lift out of the water depending on exactly where it is. the thickness of the glass doesn't matter too much but any air and it won't read the signal.

try putting it in the back, before the intake or the other side of the shaft from the intake would be better. you want clean water for the signals to pass through.

OUI
08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
You need to move it back. The haul is too thick on the Saltare at that point. That's were the the deep-vee is the deepest about 1 1/2 feet thick. Too much for a transducer signal to get through and read.

kingwoodlee
08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
On my 88 Comp ts6m, I mounted mine on the floor just to the left of the transmission. It works until I go over 44 mph. Wakeboarding, sky skiing, etc. at slow speeds, it works fine. I like you, tried it up near the center of the boat with no success. Good luck

DKJBama92Mariah
08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
On my 88 Comp ts6m, I mounted mine on the floor just to the left of the transmission. It works until I go over 44 mph. Wakeboarding, sky skiing, etc. at slow speeds, it works fine. I like you, tried it up near the center of the boat with no success. Good luck

That sounds about right. I would look at mounting it to the left of the centerline directly opposite from the raw water thru-hull.

gizmoe
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
I mounted my in several locations on my 94 TS6M before I found a reliable spot. It turns out the best spot on that boat is in the back, just to the port side of the rudder. That area is flat with no floatation material. It reads most of the time, even at speed. I tried all the other recommended locations like next to the water intake and away from the fins. I was pleasantly surprized when this spot worked because I thought it would have too much turbulence. I think the hull material that its sending the pulses thru matters more than the location. But I'm sure its a little different for each model. Good luck.