PDA

View Full Version : Rope length and weighting

Spyplane8
05-06-2003, 02:25 PM
I have a 02 SSV. I was wondering how everyone weights theres and what speed do they ride to get to at least a 70ft rope length. I seem to only be able to ride at 65 ft before the wakes wash out. I have two Launch pad 540s replacing the stock 250s and a 700 lb in the basement.

Craig Fulton
05-07-2003, 01:01 PM
I have to ride at 60' on mine. I have the factory rear ballast, and a 500 lb. front sack. This is at 21-22mph. If I put 2 more sacks around the engine I can make the rope 65'.

h2obug
05-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Your ballast is set up right to ride at 70, but check your wake plate. It should be near 0 and adjust toward 50 when you have to many passageners in the aft and you get a handling problem or it wont come out of the hole well. You should't have to move the wake plate toward 50 unless you get over 1000lbs in riders behind the windshild. Post back

mygreenmonster.com
01-12-2004, 02:24 PM
What is the factory basement bag and the two factory bags in the rear for the 04 SSV Gravity games boat? I have the boat in my garage but have not found any literature that tells what the current ballast bag weighting is.

I am going to test out the wake with the factory install first, but I would at least like to know the size of each bag if anyone asks or if I want to upgrade.

jflock2
01-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Spyplane8, where did you get the Launch Pad 540's? I'm looking to fatten up my SSV.

jflock2
03-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is any room under the floor in the SSV for lead weight? I've run out of space...

mygreenmonster.com
03-24-2004, 11:10 PM
jflock, How much weight do you currently have in your SSV? Is the wake too small with the factory ballast? I only have the factory ballast and I was hoping that it will be adequate enough for me to easily get big air. Two of my friends have Malibu wakesetters with factory ballast and I can throw huge grabs off of their factory ballast wakes.

I hope I don't have to add a bunch of weight in my current boat to get the same effect as the factory wakesetter VLX with factory ballast. Let me know what your experience has been in your SSV, if you have a factory ballast system, and why you need to add more weight.

Thanks,
mygreenmonster

jflock2
03-25-2004, 08:36 AM
I have the factory ballast....which I guess is around 1,000 lbs. I've also added a dozen steel plates that weigh about 60-65 lbs each. All in all, I guess we're around 1,700 to 1,800 lbs. The plates were free, so why not try 'em? The wake is huge and perfectly shaped at this point. I think she is as fat as she's gonna get without upgrading the sacs...

mygreenmonster.com
03-25-2004, 11:14 AM
What size are the gravity game edition ballast bags? I've heard they are about 800 on each side in the back and a 1000 in the basement totaling to 2600 pounds of wake nutrition. Is that what you have heard? How much is it for the gravity game ballast upgrade?

jflock2
03-25-2004, 07:15 PM
I've seen that post and have no idea....I just got off the phone with Atlanta Marine (where I purchased my SSV) and they said that stock Gravity Game Edition bags are 600 up front and 400 in the back. That sounds like what came with my '02. They did say they could upgrade the bags to any size I wanted......hope that helps...

1,000 in the front and 1,600 in the back sounds a little "back-heavy"...I like the steel plates because moving just one plate side to side is effective for balancing...heavily weighted coolers also work well too...

mygreenmonster.com
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
The biggest benefit of the ballast setup is the ability to change the weight of any rear side and the front on the fly from the driver seat switches. I love being able to sit back, listen to tunes, and fill the ballast to my preference from my finger tips. ;)

NateSSV
04-05-2004, 12:14 AM
I just picked up my new '04 SSV a few weeks ago, and the wake is awesome with just stock bags. I up-graded to a different set of bags that are bigger than the gravity games edition bags. I like the ease of the ballast system, and I dont really care for lead since I have to trailer my boat to the lake.
Last week, I went to the lake on my buddy's brand new Malibu VLX with the wedge. I preferred the wake behind the SSV, based on wake shape. I was able to do all of the same tricks behind the Malibu, but the shape of the wake wasn't as nice as I would have liked. With the stock ballast in the SSV, you should be able to get some pretty massive air.

mygreenmonster.com
04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
NateSSV,

You are right! The stock setup throws a huge wake! I am, for lack of better terms, Stoked! Anywhere from 60' to 70' the wake is clean, crisp, and big. I had no problems clearing both wakes and getting lots of hang time at 70' out.

I love the adjustable peak from the wakeplate. I have some Malibu VLX friends who I can adjust my wake for when they are out with me. They don't like a lot of peak to their wake. So I can make my wake similar to what they are used to which is a less peaky lip.

Have fun with your 04 SSV. I know I will with mine!

Bryon

04-20-2004, 07:51 AM
I know the weight makes a great wake, but keep in mind the weight limit, my 23' Maristar has limit of 12 people or 1660 pounds. At 1700 to 1800 pounds you are probably max'd out without people.

mygreenmonster.com
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Here is the "Hide my response bug" again!
A GUEST replied with the following:

"I know the weight makes a great wake, but keep in mind the weight limit, my 23' Maristar has limit of 12 people or 1660 pounds. At 1700 to 1800 pounds you are probably max'd out without people."

06-18-2004, 06:38 AM
i just purchased a 04 gravity games and they said it was 400 in the back and 600 in the front. I also added 2 bags of cement to each side in the back to add a total of 320 more pounds. skiing 70 off and the wake is awsome.

GRAVITY04
06-26-2004, 10:38 AM
I just bought a new 04 gravity games and i wished that it came with a little more weight. I added 2 cement bags on each side under the stock bags and 2 bags in the bow of the boat. Now I can say that the wake is awsome. I am stoked, I had a malibu before this boat and this blows the malibu out. watch out for the rollover when i pass by. later bros....