PDA

View Full Version : '02 340 HP Indmar starting problems

2002launchssv
08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I was out on the lake today and my boat was running fine for about an hour and then randomly started killing out on me while I was pulling boarders. I was able to get it started back up again and running the first two times but after the third It wouldn't start again. Each time it would turn over and cough a little and then just die. I let it sit for an hour and tried it again to no avail. Ended up getting towed back to the boat launch. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be??

sandm
08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
check fuel filter and try it again. seems that vapor lock is the culprit in some cases with the ethanol additive that they are using.
we, and a few others on here have had similar issues. there are a few threads in the repair section on it. if it does it again, try soaking the fuel filter and pump with water and see if it will then start.
I replaced my filter and added some heet to the gas last week. ran 2 days this weekend hard and not a single issue. start there and see where you end up would be my .02

jonyb
08-18-2008, 08:10 PM
The Indmar people told me to spray cold water on the fuel pump if this problem happened to me again. Next time this happens to you, feel the fuel pump to see if it's hot. I had to take the intake manifold off of mine to get it to start.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
If I remember correctly. Vapor lock does not present during normal use with the engine running. It normally happens after the boat has been run, and then shut down for 20-30 minutes or more. This allows the heat of the engine compartment to soak into the fuel lines vaporizing the fuel. It should not happen when running because the fuel rails are getting a constant supply of cool, fresh gas. Can any of you Indmar guys confirm this? Also the fact that you let it cool for an hour to no avail tells me it's probably not vapor lock. When the engine cools, the vapor lock goes away.

As much as I like to scapegoat the ethanol fuel, I really have a hard time beleiving that its causing the vapor lock problems. Ethanol is no more aromatic than the lighter components of gasoline I really don't think it would vaporize that much easier than gasoline. If someone can prove me wrong here, please do because I'm not completely sure.

The chief complaints from boaters upon transitioning to ethanol fuel are typically clogged filters, carburetors, and fuel tank pickups, and failing/collapsing old fuel lines. The ethanol does loosen up all the crap in your tank which can clog filters crazy fast. We transitioned to E10 this spring and I went through 3 filters and a new fuel line before the dust was all settled. It runs great now though, with no percievable hit in performance; I think mileage has suffered some though.

I would suspect a clogged fuel filter first. The you can check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail (using a fuel pressure tester, not a tire gauge). I would also use a spark tester or a pair of pliers if you're brave to make sure you are getting spark at the plugs.

What REALLY blows my mind is that the solution Indmar is recomming to its customers is pouring water on parts of a virtually brand new electircally controlled engine. That is the sort of half-assed fix that an Alabama redneck such as myself would come up with. I would never expect a manufacturer to actually recommend such a procedure on a warranteed motor.

sandm
08-19-2008, 10:13 PM
ethanol will root out the sediment and crap in your tank, but will take a few tankfuls to do it at the 10% ratio. e85, when switched into a flexfuel vehicle after 50-60k miles will usually plug the filter in a few miles.
switching out the filter is a good idea, and probably not bad advice to do it a couple times a year with the cost being less than $12 from napa and easy to do.
as far as vapor lock, ethanol has a boiling point of 85deg. I don't remember where I read it, but stated that 10%blend lowers the boiling point of gas by 40deg, enough in the hot confines of our engine compartments to be an issue, coupled with the location of the fuel pump and filter. supra's real fix is a second pump inline closer toward the tank, but have heard mixed reviews on that one as well.
best advice to avoid vapor lock is to run the blowers all the time, and after a hard session and parking, open the hatch. throwing water is a last-ditch fix to get ya started if you are stuck.

jonyb
08-20-2008, 02:03 AM
I was just passing on what I was told by them. Not saying I believe what they have to say....

Larry C
08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree that the suggested fixes are completely unacceptable... The manufacturer had no problem making my boat and excepting payment for it. The interesting thing is that during the process of evaluation the sales people or the website never disclosed this issue which is a bigger concern then the issue itself.

Based on the design of the engine and the fuel pumps being mounted on the lower portion of the engine where heat will be building up I can see why the indamar engine is having this issue. However, why wasn't this disclosed to potential buyers?

So now that we own the boats the manufacturer should ensure that there is an appropriate fix that isn't suggesting that you pour a bottle of water over a new engine....How rediculous...

PS As for the ethenol being the proposed culprit I don't buy since I was with three other boats on Powell when I experienced the vapor lock starting problem and they had no issues at all. At least my new V21 was the nicest looking boat sitting idle amoung the rest. They were all different ages and manufacturers (1 even with an indamar in it) and yet no one had the issue except for me with my new V21 Supra....

If I remember correctly. Vapor lock does not present during normal use with the engine running. It normally happens after the boat has been run, and then shut down for 20-30 minutes or more. This allows the heat of the engine compartment to soak into the fuel lines vaporizing the fuel. It should not happen when running because the fuel rails are getting a constant supply of cool, fresh gas. Can any of you Indmar guys confirm this? Also the fact that you let it cool for an hour to no avail tells me it's probably not vapor lock. When the engine cools, the vapor lock goes away.

As much as I like to scapegoat the ethanol fuel, I really have a hard time beleiving that its causing the vapor lock problems. Ethanol is no more aromatic than the lighter components of gasoline I really don't think it would vaporize that much easier than gasoline. If someone can prove me wrong here, please do because I'm not completely sure.

The chief complaints from boaters upon transitioning to ethanol fuel are typically clogged filters, carburetors, and fuel tank pickups, and failing/collapsing old fuel lines. The ethanol does loosen up all the crap in your tank which can clog filters crazy fast. We transitioned to E10 this spring and I went through 3 filters and a new fuel line before the dust was all settled. It runs great now though, with no percievable hit in performance; I think mileage has suffered some though.

I would suspect a clogged fuel filter first. The you can check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail (using a fuel pressure tester, not a tire gauge). I would also use a spark tester or a pair of pliers if you're brave to make sure you are getting spark at the plugs.

What REALLY blows my mind is that the solution Indmar is recomming to its customers is pouring water on parts of a virtually brand new electircally controlled engine. That is the sort of half-assed fix that an Alabama redneck such as myself would come up with. I would never expect a manufacturer to actually recommend such a procedure on a warranteed motor.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-26-2008, 02:41 PM
But actually, there are plenty of centaur females - they're the ones with the veils over their faces who have a nasty habit of firing a barrage of arrows into your back! We have mass available stock of gold on wow most of the servers, so that we can do a really instant way of

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS IS KNOWN AS A GOLDSELLER THAT SELLS INGAME ITEMS TO MMO GAMES. THE LINKS MOST LIKELY CONTAIN A KEYLOGGER THAT WILL MINE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION

DKJBama92Mariah
08-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I was just passing on what I was told by them. Not saying I believe what they have to say....

My post wasn't aimed at you Jony; I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, just the message sender.

jonyb
08-27-2008, 08:03 AM
My post wasn't aimed at you Jony; I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, just the message sender.

I know, we're good :)