PDA

View Full Version : '89 Comp Dead in the Water.

Dinoz
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys & Gals,

In a dilema, over the weekend my wife was skiing when suddenly my boat just completely stopped running, all instruments went dead, along with the boat. I wasn't there to investigate the problem, but what my wife told me was there is power in the battery still, gas is fine, and there wasn't any issues starting the boat over the weekend at all. My guess is something to do with the main power switch. Any other ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks,

DZ.

riveredge
08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Sounds like ignition breaker was tripped... or the main breaker on the engine near the stern - the "magic red button"

Dinoz
08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are the two things I was thinking as well, just want to get up the boat to check them out. My other concern would be what would cause the breaker to go???

kingwoodlee
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Old age, like me!

DKJBama92Mariah
08-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Like Riveredge said, check the magic red button. Also suspect the kill switch.

Need a little more info. Were the blower, bilge, and stereo functioning after this happened?

Dinoz
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Nothing was working, everything went dead. Unfortunately I don't think my wife tried the accersories like the bilge or blower, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be working either. My feeling is the kill switch, but I'll see it first hand this weekend. Thanks again for the imput.

DZ.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-20-2008, 01:07 PM
If it's just the instruments and motor that are dead but the blower works, then suspect the kill switch, ign switch, and their wiring. The blower and bilge run off a separate circuit that isn't effected by the kill switch or ignition wiring. That will be the key thing to look for.

riveredge
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
any update / progress? My 89's didn't come with kill switches, btw... just throwing that out there.

Dinoz
08-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Problem fixed. Faulty kill switch, replaced the switch and all is fine. A lot of the contacts in the switches that are in the older boats are wearing out such as what had happened in my case. Thanks for all the input.

DZ.