PDA

View Full Version : Velvet drive

87 Sunsport
05-10-2002, 07:18 AM
I have the old velvet drive transmission, original Morse shift, with the standard PCM Ford 351. The engine and transmission are incredibly smooth, it idles at 400-600 and shifts like butter. I don't understand why the prop spins in neutral. Out of water it is about 60-100 rpms regardless of throttle speed. It's great for puttering out of the slip, but it means the boat will not stand still in idle, so that warming up or leaving the slip is sometimes a hassle. (I just checked the transmission filter and fluid.)

Is this normal?

Salty87
05-14-2002, 04:06 PM
mine doesn't spin in neutral, its possible that your transmission cable is not disengaging the transmission completely. but, if the tranny is not in neutral the engine shouldn't turn over when you turn the key. any problems starting it?

either way, i would start by disconnecting that cable at the tranny (pull cotter pin) and move the tranny lever by hand, see if you can find neutral without the cable. if so, you might just need to adjust the cable....

hope this helps,
kevin

05-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Thanks,
I had the linkage checked. It starts fine. There's alway a slow spin in neutral even with the Morse pin out. I thought maybe the forward momentum was caused by the exhaust, but then I remembered I discovered this when the boat was on blocks with a fake a lake.
Is there a photo of your Saltaire posted anywhere?

Dan Schoenberger
05-16-2002, 10:46 AM
I had the same problem. I'm guessing your controp linkage is improperly adjusted.

Dan

05-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Old topic but new question. How do you adjust the throttle cable (make it longer/shorter) or the transmission/throttle cable. I'm trying to put on a new Morse SV-2 controller, my old one, I would have to countinously wiggle it and play with it in order for it to read neutral so that I could start the engine. The neutral safety switch was just replaced, so I know that it is not the problem( at least I hope ).

When I put the new one in I had to pull the throttle cable to get it to hook up to it, and of course this pulled on the throttle itself, so when I would have started the engine it would have taken off. Same with the tranny cable it would not reach unless I pulled it. Which of course was engaging the tranny. So I guess I have a few questions ..

What position is neutral on the tranny itself?
What position is forward on the tranny itself?
How to adjust the cables?

cryonchick
05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Old topic but new question. How do you adjust the throttle cable (make it longer/shorter) or the transmission/throttle cable. I'm trying to put on a new Morse SV-2 controller, my old one, I would have to countinously wiggle it and play with it in order for it to read neutral so that I could start the engine. The neutral safety switch was just replaced, so I know that it is not the problem( at least I hope ).

When I put the new one in I had to pull the throttle cable to get it to hook up to it, and of course this pulled on the throttle itself, so when I would have started the engine it would have taken off. Same with the tranny cable it would not reach unless I pulled it. Which of course was engaging the tranny. So I guess I have a few questions ..

What position is neutral on the tranny itself?
What position is forward on the tranny itself?
How to adjust the cables?

Salty87
05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
hi cryon,

i'll take a few shots from memory...how far off are your cables?

neutral on the tranny is in the straight up position. i think forward position is with the tranny lever pointed to the back of the boat but i'm not certain. you will want to verify that. your boat won't start with the tranny in gear, unless the switch has been de-activated. moving the throttle will tell you which gear is which since you already have that end hooked up.

the transmission cable has a mount that holds the end in place near the transmission housing on the back of the engine. there are several different pre-drilled spots on the mount you can choose. you'll be able to figure out which one works for your cable.

the throttle cable can be adjusted at the end that connects to the carb. there's a fitting on the end of the cable that has a little ball-bearing looking end. you can tighten or loosen that fitting to adjust the length. you'll need to free it from the carb though...pull on the very tip of the cable, it's spring loaded and will free-up the connection so you can pull it out of the arm on the carb. then loosen the fitting to adjust the cable. i think there's another set-up like the tranny cable to make bigger changes. if your cable is too tight, the boat will idle high. if it's too loose, there will be play in the throttle when you try to give it gas.

let us know how it goes!

cryonchick
05-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Got it to hook-up, now all I have to do is to test it. weather is really crumby so can't get out on the lakes. It looks like it shifts into gear properly but not sure about throttle in reverse. Is the throttle supposed to move like it does in forward, when the tranny is in reverse? The throttle cable dosen't seem to move???????

Dimitri
05-24-2004, 04:07 AM
Check your oil level on your transmision. If too much oil then hi oil pres. then the shaft is rotating in neutral too!
Some times you need more oil (of the maximum level that the dipstick indicates) otherwise, depending the pump position (left or right), your pump delivers air instead of oil and you have lack of pressure on left or right turns of your boat. So try to remoove some oil (but be sure to keep the oli level indicator on max.

Hoppe this helps
Dimitri

Salty87
05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
yep, you should be able to pump the throttle in reverse just like forward. you just replaced the control unit, right? i've had to replace a small brass connector in mine before, it was binding and stopping the lever from moving. your new unit should be smooth though.

are you sure that the tranny cable is fully engaging the reverse gear when this happens?

cryonchick
05-24-2004, 07:43 PM
The tranny shifts from forward, neutral, and reverse no problem. The throttle moves no problem in forward all the way to full throttle. I'm looking at it and I don't see how it can physically move the throttle cable in the same direction when pulling the lever back to go in to reverse. Maybe I'm missing something???????? I don't know.

When in reverse it pushes a spring like device back, it looks like it was designed to do this, but the throttle doesn't move, it just pushes the cable instead of pulling it like in forward......

Please HELP !!

cryonchick
05-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Forgot, yes it is a brand new unit, only the control unit itself, nothing else was replaced.

Salty87
05-25-2004, 02:59 PM
can you check with the people you bought it from (skidim?). the gearing in the control unit is what allows the throttle cable to work the same in both forward and reverse. when you move the lever either forward or reverse, the lever is still moving and that is what causes the throttle cable to move....and it only moves one direction unlike the tranny cable.

i would try to verify how it is supposed to work, was your old unit no longer being made? i can't see why it would be different. but, perhaps they can help you trouble shoot it.

cryonchick
05-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I have attached a picture. Hopefully it works and you can see it.

Bought it on Ebay. It's an MV-2 Morse control, updated version of the current one.

Tried moving cables around and such and w/o actually trying it out, which unfortunatly I have not been able to do, due to work and weather, I just do not see how it will pull the throttle cable when pulling lever back for reverse gear.

This is a backside view of the throttle, I removed the side panel to get at it better. ON top is the tranny cable and bottom is the throttle cable.....

WHat does this look like compared to yours, it you remember or have looked at it recently.

Tried to find install instructions on web but to no avail.......

Salty87
05-27-2004, 12:07 PM
that looks like mine, from what i can remember. it was a while ago when i replaced my throttle cable and i'm trying to wake up those brain cells. one thing i would suggest checking are the brass ends that your cables screw into right there at the control unit. i had one wear out and it would bind the controls up. the end of the fitting with the cotter pin should be fully round and have no grooves in them.

also, try disconnecting the throttle cable and see if your lever moves freely then. it looks like the cables are attached and routed correctly....from what i remember.

*i had to save the file before i could view it, in case anyone else tries to look.

cryonchick
05-31-2004, 09:08 PM
Finally got it.....after several days of fiddling with it and busting brain cells over it. I was sitting in bed about 11pm last night after several days away from it thinking about it and it hit me. So off with my flashlight and tool box I went. In the picture you see the throttle cable should be connected perpindicular to the tranny ( not pararell to it ) pointing straight towards the front of the boat not down to the floor. Once I thought about it I don't see how I didn't figure it out in the first place. I guess it is my old age showing, and my brain not working as well.....

Thanks for all your help.....