PDA

View Full Version : Wish List - A Slalom Boat...please

SupraZolt
08-19-2008, 06:49 PM
I know I am in the minority and that wakeboarding is 95% of the market, but all I would like to see is a new Supra Ski boat. I have an 04 Comp LTS and it is a great ski boat (3 event), but I would love to see a new one. I am tired of seeing the same old CC, Mal & MC around. Make one that is better and promote it and people will buy it. The last version of the Comp in 06/07 was not great. The LTS 03-05 was light years better. Heck, even Tige has one! I've skied it and unless you ski 32 off and shorter it is not good.

Moomba Outback is fine but does not have that high-class vibe to compete with the others. If I want to update my boat I'll be forced to get something else. Please make a Slalom boat...please
Z

DKJBama92Mariah
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. Good post; politely clapping here.

I'd love to see a 22-23ft direct-drive with a big-block and without the tuna tower.

Pdowling1
08-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Amen, I sold a '95 Ts6m & bought a '06 Launch, GIANT step backwards. Now my boat sits while I ski behind my buddy's '07 Malibu LXI. Absolutly no comparison! Supra, buils a SKI boat again, please.

Ed Obermeier
09-05-2008, 09:12 AM
AMEN! I bought my current 2000 Legacy because it was a perfect combination of serious slalom boat, family boat, and could make a fair beginner wake board boat for the kids with some weight added. It's been an absolutely excellent low maintainance boat and everyone who drives and skis it has been surprised and impressed at what a great slalom AND family boat it really is.

I'm now in the position of having to get a different boat due to my business (EZ-Slalom Course Systems), I've taken all of the business write-offs I can on this one and I need a new/newer boat for the tax benefits. I'd buy another Supra in a heartbeat but they no longer offer anything that could be considered an even remotely serious slalom course boat. So I'm forced to look at other brands.

Hey Skiers Choice - we realize that wakeboarding is the lions share of your business. BUT there are still a lot of us slalom skiers out here who like your products who would buy them IF they were available to us. Think about it.

Sincerely, Ed Obermeier

SupraZolt
09-11-2008, 12:04 AM
I am glad to read some more skiers words here. I believe my Supra is a fine machine and looks better than most every other boat.

Ed, I ski one of your courses regularly and my LTS loves to go straight down the middle. Great product.

I know I said that if they make one better and promote it people will buy it, I believe this to be true. I know the numbers on ski boats don't support this but I think that the slalom market buys a lot on credibility based on tournament pulls, pro-skiers skiing them and promotion more so than the wakeboard market. Challenge the 'big 3 slalom companies' head to head, get in on the tournament pulling. Maybe this is my biased opinion, but my boat skis as well as any other boat and better than most. I pulled one of the best 34mph skiers in the world behind it and he thought it was excellent (he's won a few Big Dawgs and always runs 39). In fact he ran 39 off the dock behind it. That was something to see. I didn't see much as I was concentrating on driving well, but very cool.

I urge Supra to consider another True 3 event boat. Make it great to ski and look at and I know I'll have a hard time not up grading.
Z

Ed Obermeier
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the kind words Zolt, I'm glad to hear that you're having a good time with your course. That's what it's all about for me. Much appreciated.

I understand the issue for SC, slalom boats are a small percentage of the market and the resourses required go to what brings in the bacon. I get it. But...

Supra in the mid 80's was the slalom boat to have. Were it not for the wood rot problems that killed their reputation I think todays Slalom boat market would look a lot different. Talk to a lot of old time slalom skiers and they will all tell you that Supra had one of the best wakes and best pulls going. Then MC came in with the 88 - 90 hull, Supra was a bust due to the stringer and floor rot issues (later resolved but too late to save them) and the rest is history. But the history and the genes are there and my boat (and yours too) are testament to that legacy.

When I started shopping for a boat in late '99 I really expected to end up with an MC. Everyone I knew had an MC, that was what I was most familiar with, done deal. BUT once I started shopping for a boat, comparing quality, wake, interiors etc and THEN looking at what you were getting for the money (I'm a bang-for-the-buck kind of guy, that's how I run my business) it was a no brainer. The Supra was the boat to buy. I've never been sorry I made that decision and it hurts to read some of these threads on the different problems people have with their Supra's. I haven't had that experience, guess I'm fortunate in that regard.

You have to get people out of the it's-gotta-be-a-big-three-boat mentality and get them to look at what you get for the money. That's a tough hill to climb and I get that. But look at what Tige of all people is doing with their slalom boat - get a couple of pros in one and get people to give it a look and a chance and start building a rep for being a comperable quality boat to the Big 3 and you start carving out a nitch. If Supra could build a boat at least comperable in quality to say Malibu i.e. with quality wakes, no spray, quality low maintainance construction (which mine has been to date) and bring it in at a "reasonable" price point I believe that there is a market slot to be had there. Tough economy to do it in right now but I think there is a market there and with Supra's genes there is no reason I can see that it couldn't be done IF they wanted to. Surely they can do a better job than Tige reportedly is doing (I'm told that from 28 - 32 off and in it's great, at longer lines the wake is a beast).

Spoke earlier this summer with the manager of the local Supra dealership on this subject and told him it was a shame Supra wasn't building slalom boats anymore since I'm in the market for another boat. He stated that Rick Tinker and some of the top folks at SC are slalom skiers at heart and that they are looking at building a new hull for a slalom boat. Be interesting to know if there is anything to that.

Ed

SupraZolt
09-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I completely agree with your words Ed. I too have had no real issues with my boat and what small ones I did were quickly and generously fixed by my dealer. The boat has been a work horse and a pleasure to ski and drive. I think both of us ended up in a Supra for the same reason. I was looking at the other 'big three' slalom boats and thought I'd end up in a Malibu or MC and was even considering a Centurion or Tige until I got up close to the Centurion and the quality was not there. I did not like the Tige look that much but took it for a test anyway. I was shocked at the wakes. They we very large and hard at 15 and 22. Yes 28 got better but I stopped there as most people I take out won't ski shorter lines. When I went out in the Supra it looked fabulous had fine fit and finnish and skied so well at all the lengths and at a considerably better price. It made it easy to decide.

I understand the bottom line for Supra, but I think that it would not be that difficult for them to get back into the three event market. How many wake board boats do you need? They sell so many as people obviously see the quality and value. If you let a corner of the market go I would think it would be very difficult to get back in because no one takes you seriously.

I spoke with my dealer at the last couple boat shows and he jokes with me about upgrading. I'd only consider it if the boat was at least equal to mine. He agreed it made no sense. He also said there was one in the works for 09, but from what I have seen it did not happen. Rumours only I guess.

I agree, Supra could do it and do it well if they wanted to. I think MC is slipping as they have not done much to their boat in years. CC is the same old same old, and you have to wonder how much longer the closed bow will work for them. Malibu has the edge from my vantage point. I'd love to see Supra take them on and be less conservative and make it something that grabs attention through style and performance. But hey, I am just wishing...

BTW personal best in the course Sunday (4 @32 34mp/h). Got to get 6!
Zoltan

scmarketing
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
There are no current plans for us to build a new direct-drive 3-event boat. The reason is simple ... we simply don't have enough demand for the product to justify the cost of development, production, and marketing. We understand and appreciate that we are blessed to have both TS6 and LTS loyalists who want us to build the next great slalom boat.

We do hear you. We appreciate your interest. And we will continue to stay abreast of the market and attuned to its very specific needs. Bottom line: never say never.

SupraZolt
10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Skiers Choice,
I appreciate that you are following the market and perhaps these are difficult times. I certainly hope that someday soon you will make a new pure 3 event boat. If the market is so skewed to V-drives etc how do the other companies do it? Are they not selling any ski boats?
Z

Laz
10-10-2008, 12:54 AM
What about the Outback?

I've put about 100 hours on the Outback this summer and really enjoy this boat. I'm a new slalom addict just learning how to get through the course (an EZ-Slalom course, that is).

I am quite interested in how this boat compares with other dedicated slalom boats. I've never seen an objective comparison that does not give the Outback high marks.

I've skied behind the Outback, Outback V, Nautique 196, Nautique 206 and Malibu Sportster. Now, I'm no expert, but I certainly couldn't tell a difference. Except the Outback V had a much bigger wake (as expected).

Before getting the Outback, I looked seriously at a Natuique 206 and would have bought it, if I could have demonstrated any performance benefit that justified the cost. After skiing behind both I went with the Outback.

I believe the quality on the Outback is the same as any Supra boat. So, why not an Outback?

Laz

Ed Obermeier
10-14-2008, 08:58 AM
The Outback is a perfectly good slalom boat Laz, we have one in our 3 - 4 boat rotation so I drive and ski behind one regularly. Fit and finish compared to the Supra equivalent is pretty plain jane but that doesn't affect how good a slalom boat it is. Bang-for-the-buck wise the Outback is probably the best slalom boat value on the market IMO. If you want fancy interiors, more bells and whistles etc you can get a Big 3 boat (or a Supra) for a LOT more money but you're right, you can't really justify the difference in price versus the (very small) difference in performance.

Ed

SupraZolt
11-05-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree with Ed. The Outback is a fine ski boat. Quality is excellent and it is a nice looking boat too. I just prefer a few bells and whistles as well as some nicer features. The Outback just keeps it to a minimum. Nothing wrong with that. In comparison to the other higher priced ski boats, the Outback is arguably the smartest choice you could make bar none, but keeping our ego in check is hard sometimes.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
There are no current plans for us to build a new direct-drive 3-event boat. The reason is simple ... we simply don't have enough demand for the product to justify the cost of development, production, and marketing. We understand and appreciate that we are blessed to have both TS6 and LTS loyalists who want us to build the next great slalom boat.

We do hear you. We appreciate your interest. And we will continue to stay abreast of the market and attuned to its very specific needs. Bottom line: never say never.

I can understand whats driving the market here is wakeboarding,but waterskiing is making a comeback. My friends ski store last year sold 75 high end slalom ski's.So things are changing.
On another note I have a few complaints about my 2002 Launch SS,mainly the use of non stainless steel hardware!! ie seat sliders for drivers seat,clasps
for engine box tie down at rear,mounting hardware for lifting shocks for rear
ski locker,also bolster bracket for drivers seat.I have replaced all the hardware
with stainless replacements for under 150.00 except for brackets for bolster seat lift on drivers seat.A fabrication shop wanted 400.00 to make those,I could buy a whole new seat for 600.00
Anyway thats my only beef with Supra,I owned a Naughtique before this boat and they do not cheap out on marine grade hardware and I am sure
niether does Malibu or Mastercraft.
Remember there is alot of Ocean out there with alot of good skiing so do the
little things right so we do not have to upgrade these parts to something that will last and not rust.I do my own repairs so its not too much$$$ but alot
of people do not and have to pay 90 per hr shop fee plus replacement parts.
Dave

skeezer
01-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I am with all of you. I bought a 89 Conbrio last season just for that reason. I ski, I don't wake board. My kids are into Skiing now because I ski. Their comment is everyone wake boards lets ski instead. I know they will likely want to try wake boarding this year, but our reinds have a new 20SSV, and they ski behind my boat so we'll board behind thiers.

I love the wake and preformance of my but my wife would like a more family frendly boat.

Cheers

Skeezer:mrgreen:

Seabeejamie
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I have the same 2002 Launch SS, love it for the very reason that I can Ski and wakeboard with just a flip of the switch and a little ballast trimming. Looking for a barefoot boom now, I managed to step off a ski for the first time in 20 years in September. What a adrenaline rush. The fear of falling face first! I do love the boat though, very family friendly and a big floating party platform for those days we don't ski.

relyt
09-25-2010, 04:17 AM
I have been skiing behind Supra boats all of my life! My father owned a black 90 comp, a red 97 sunsport and now a 08 22ssv. I pick up a 99 legacy about 5 years ago! My uncle also has owned 2 Supra boats and still has his '90.

When ever I get into another boat the quality has never been there! Supra is so plush and I would love to see a new DD! I love skiing behind my Legacy, best wake ever!!

One day I hope I will own a brand new Supra DD!! We are waiting!

Ed Obermeier
09-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Likely now to never happen. I think there is a window of opportunity for another manufacturer to come back into the comp boat market right now if done right. Good basic slalom boat (with world class wake and tracking of course) done at a too-good-not-to-look-at price. If you hadn't heard it looks like it will be Centurion who takes the plunge. They're coming in with a new comp boat, the Carbon Pro, which should be available by spring and reportedly will be around $5 - 10K less than the Big 3 current offerings. Reportedly they have gotten major imput from the top tournament drivers and skiers and are doing it RIGHT. Centurion has a long history with comp boats as does Supra, one of these two could have made it work and it looks like it's Supra who may be missing the opportunity here. Quite a bit of info on it on the Ball of Spray forum http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/categories.php under the "Other Stuff" heading. Scroll down to the the "Carbon Pro" thread. Considering how much Supra has put their money on wakeboard boats and considering how much that market has shrunk in this economy I think it's a shame that Supra doesn't have the foresight or balls to at least take a look at it. Their loss.