PDA

View Full Version : Impeller shredded, replaced, now running hot

08-24-2008, 12:44 AM
I have a 2004 Supra Launch 21SSV, I got white smoke on first real power; shut it down, opened up and realized the impeller shredded.

After a crazy fight, I finally got it removed and replaced, and opened up all the hoses -- I found a number of rubber pieces in the large screen before the raw water hits the motor.

I cleaned these out, ensured good water flow, and unfortunately the boat is still running hot, but no longer smoking and seems okay temp wise if I would leave it at idle -- is there somewhere else the pieces of the impeller get stuck? Is there something I can do to flush them out?

The repair places are backed up 4 weeks here, so if you could save my labor day I'd be very happy.

Thanks!

Salty87
08-24-2008, 07:15 PM
best thing to do is collect all the pieces when it goes and make sure you've got everything out. i won't say that it's just easier to change them regularly instead.

anyway, you're gonna have to go back in there and check the pump housing thoroughly. there are lots of hiding spots including the bends of hoses. i'd move on to the thermostat after that to see what you find.

then, if you're still having problems, i'd get an infrared gun and try to narrow down the hot spot(s).

chautauquasun
09-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Not sure if this is of any help. I just bought an 84 Supra Rider with PCM 351. We were having problems with it running hot and no water circulation to the block. The original owner I bought it from told me he had just had guy service the water pump. We took the water pump off and left the top hose on it and looked at the impeller it was in bad shape and obvious that his service guy had not put a new one in. We replaced the impeller and still didn't have any water flow. Then we realized the guy who had supposedly done the work install the water pump upside down/backwards. We simple took the (what we thought was the top) hose off and turned the right way. Runs perfectly with temp between 130 and 160.

I can see how easy it would be to make this mistake because it looks the same and can be installed either way.

Again not sure if your engine is like mine but thought I would share it.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Not sure if this is of any help. I just bought an 84 Supra Rider with PCM 351. We were having problems with it running hot and no water circulation to the block. The original owner I bought it from told me he had just had guy service the water pump. We took the water pump off and left the top hose on it and looked at the impeller it was in bad shape and obvious that his service guy had not put a new one in. We replaced the impeller and still didn't have any water flow. Then we realized the guy who had supposedly done the work install the water pump upside down/backwards. We simple took the (what we thought was the top) hose off and turned the right way. Runs perfectly with temp between 130 and 160.

I can see how easy it would be to make this mistake because it looks the same and can be installed either way.

Again not sure if your engine is like mine but thought I would share it.

:D Don't feel bad. I did the same thing about 5 or so years ago. The PCM pump pumps the exact opposite direction of what it looks like it should.