PDA

View Full Version : 24SSV bags won't completely dump. Solution!

jonyb
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
When I'm rafted up or out boarding I fill the rear bags a little. Rafted up filling the bags keeps the swim platform underwater and it doesn't get as hot. Anyway, when I go to dump the bags, they don't dump completely, so I have to stand in the compartment and lift the bag until all the water's out. If the pump loses prime, then whoever's with me has to turn the switches off, then back on to try to pick up the water again. I'm also getting water back there under the bags somewhere and have to take them out when it's parked in the garage to dry.

The remedy: I built a pair of ramps from 3/4" MDF (that's what I had at the house already). They start at about 4" from the floor in the rear of the boat, and are about 11-12" in the rear. Once they were built, I covered them in spray-on truck bed coating to waterproofing. The bag's sit perfectly on top and they dump all the way to empty. The only way to get the rest of the water out is to unhook the bag and dump them over the edge. With the bags off the carpet, the carpet dries a lot better also.

1 of them has already started to buckle a little bit from the water, but I wasn't too sure on how these would work when I first built them so I may cut out some new ones over the winter out of something that'll handle the moisture a little better.

I'll get some pics of them next time I'm in the boat.

DKJBama92Mariah
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Good solution jony. MDF will turn to mush with even a little bit of water. So next time, coat the MDF with fiberglass resin before the herculiner. I have a sub-box made of MDF underneath the walkthrough to the playpen that I coated this way. I occasionally end up taking rollers over the bow, so it ends up wet quite a bit. It's on its 3rd year and still hard as a rock.

sandm
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I have had issues with the bags dumping in my 20ssv completely. I have found to run the boat at 6-7mph, not let it plane out and dump them. seems to remove 99% of the water, but as stated, they do get water under them, and the carpet in the bottom of the wells in the rear end up soaked after a day on the lake. not sure that I will ever get rid of that issue, and just have to remove the bags. I usually end up taking out all the seats and lift the rear hatches when stored in the garage. seems to really help dry it out quicker.. I have neglected the middle bag in the locker though. pulled it up the other day and it's nasty. got some work to do there. fortunately no carpet though.

jonyb
09-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Mine was pretty nasty in the center too. I always leave mine open in the garage but after last weekend the port side carpet under the bag was soaking wet. The built-in cooler in this boat leaks pretty bad. I've tried sealing it up, like they should've done when the boat was built, but it still leaks, so that's something else I've gotta fix. I had to vacuum the water out with a shop vac because it would've stunk before it dried.

thinnair
09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
I would reccomend using "StarBoardŽ "...it is for marine use, is as easy to work with as MDF, and far easier than fiberglassing MDF

jonyb
09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I bet that stuff's pretty expensive, and I'm sure my little town won't have it anywhere.

Over the winter I'll probably build another set and fiberglass them. That should fix the problem.