PDA

View Full Version : starter/bendix 87 Sunsport

87 Sunsport
08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I replaced my starter with a new one about three years ago. Yesterday my son called me from the boat "Dad it won't start, what do I do?" That causes me great pain since on top of being a mechanical moron, it's hard to fix things over the phone.
We have a voltmeter in the boat and the battery was fine. He explained that there was sometimes just a click from the 50 amp breaker, but when I told him to just reset the button it didn't help. Sometime it made a sound like "rattling marbles in a can". I remembered something about a bendix from my youth, and I told him to gently tap the starter with a hammer. It started and worked all day.
Am I a genius, or just lucky? and do I have to replace the starter again?

OUI
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Sometimes a starter can get a flat spot and not want to turn over if it lands on that flat spot. Tapping with a hammer can sometimes work. My guess, however, is you have a bad starter solinoid.

87 Sunsport
08-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your help. Does the solenoid have to be marine or can I get it from NAPA?
I know I could call Anthony at Supra or Vince at SKIDIM, but any advice on how to replace the solenoid would be appreciated.

OUI
09-02-2008, 10:39 AM
It's pretty simple to pull the solinoid. You will see once you pull the starter. I don't know if there are special marine solinoids or not. Pull the old one and compare it to the one from NAPA it may be the same.

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Most part stores have a marine parts line I know Carquest, NAPA, Advance around here do.

michael hunter
09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Are you sure its the solenoid? You can test the solenoid by using a volt meter
Check the voltage at both large terms on the sides with the key in the crank
position should have the same voltage. You can also jump over the solenoid
by connecting the two large terms with a car jumping cable set. Caution
the starter should turn over when the jumper is attached. If not check all
connections and batt voltage. If they are good problem is in the starter.

OUI
09-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with what Stuv070 wrote.

IUFAN24
09-25-2008, 02:35 PM
87 Sunsport - last 3 times out when I start the boat, the engine starts but the starter continues to engage. Is this a switch problem or a starter issue?

Thanks for any help.

OUI
09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
It may be either one. it's hard to tell without listening to what's happening. Generally, if it's the switch the starter keeps turning until you turn it to the off position, and a spring makes a grinding noise or wouldn't engage when you turn the key it just spins. If you can't tell the difference, pull the starter and turn it over, see if it continues to spin in the run position -- if it does, it's the switch. Then watch the Bendix gear to see if it pushes out to the start position and returns. If it doesn't it's the spring.

Salty87
09-26-2008, 09:01 AM
i'd just pull the starter and bring it in to an auto electric shop. they'll test it, shouldn't be a charge if it's ok (maybe a small charge).

IUFAN24
10-23-2008, 11:05 AM
GUys - pulled the starter and my batter shop said it was fine execpt for a bad rear bushing. He replaced that and I re-installed in the boat. Unfortunately, same problem. When I turn the key to start the engine and then turn the key back to the off position - the engine keeps turning over. Turning the key back on and off a couple of times finally kills the engine turning over. Switch issue? The temps keep falling here in MI and I need to get this baby winterized. Guidance?

Salty87
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
either the switch or the solenoid hanging up. i'd lean toward the solenoid although i replaced my switch recently and the new one fell apart after 20 starts maybe. if the switch has always worked, solenoid.

only other possibility is a really weak battery.

Seabeejamie
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I had the same problem with a 69 Camaro once. I had to add a single shim. The starter was too close to the flywheel. It would engage, but the tension would keep the starter gear engaged to the flywheel. This will keep the solonoid engaged, hence constantly turning over. most auto parts stores will have shims, they cost 2-3 dollars. They go in between the starter mount and the block.

OUI
10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
I think it's the switch. Turn the key to the on position and jump the solinoid. Just make contact with the two contact points on either side of the solinoid. You can use a wire or the handle end of a pair of pliers.

csuggs
11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
IUFAN24
I have a similar problem with my 86 Sunsport. Two problems: First, like you, the starter will occassionally "hang up" and stay engaged - even cranking with the key off. If I turn the key switch back and forth a few times it will disengage. I'm guess that the contacts in the solenoid are somehow sticking - even though it is a newer solenoid. Second, after the boat has been running and is up to operating temp (about 160F), if I shut it down and then restart before the motor cools, it cranks very slow like the battery is weak - but it does fire up. However, when the motor is cool, it cranks at a faster (normal) speed. I'm wondering if there is some thermal expansion happening inside the starter that is causing it to "drag" and put a higher load on the battery when it is hot. Any ideas???

IUFAN24
11-04-2008, 12:04 PM
My marina called over the weekend and said it is the solenoid. Thanks for everyone's input. In storage for yet another long Michigan winter slumber. Each summer I pray I can make it another year before the dreaded stringer/floor job. I know the foam is wet so it is just a matter of time.