PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Pulled through the hull!

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Went out Riding today stepped on the swim platform Noticed it was tweeked and went under water on one side Put the boat back on the trailer pulled it out there's a hole in the hull 3" x 5". The bracket that holds the swim platform had pulled through the hull and took a big piece of fiberglass with it. the other side is cracked also. Anyone else had this problem????

jonyb
09-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Post some pics.... I gotta see this!

DKJBama92Mariah
09-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Oh man Foiltech, thats awful; almost crying foryou here. I'm assuming you didn't smack a dock with it (not that hard to do, ask me.) You would have to hit it pretty hard. If not, then that is just..just....man I just don't have words for it.

I have heard of this before, but I'm not for sure it was on your particular model.

How long are the warranties on the 2006 boats? I'm not for certain, but I think I remember my 92 having a lifetime warranty against delamination. I'm cautiously optimistic that SC will make this right. Unfortunately, your season probably has just come to an early end.

Putting aside the question of warranty coverage for a moment; the boat will have to be fixed. This will be a moderately serious repair. Ironicly what makes the repair not so bad is what allowed it to happen in the first place.

On stern-drive (I/O) and outboard boats, the transom is a major structural part of the boat because the thrust from the engine and prop is tranferred to the boat through the transom. Because of this, the transom must be very thick and can easily handle the load of a platform.

On our DD and V-drive inboards the thrust from the prop is tranferred through the propshaft to the engine, which is mounted to the stringers through the motor mounts. Consequently, the transom isn't a MAJOR structural part of the hull and doesn't have to be as thick. Therein lies the problem when it comes time to mount the platform; the transom isn't as thick to hold the leverage of the weight of the platform and whoever is sitting on it. You didn't have like 3 fat girls sitting on it did ya? [:D] Typically, and most times effectively, this problem is addressed by using backing plates (mine are made of 3/8" aluminum) on the inside of the transom and the platform brackets are through-bolted to the backing plates. Sorry if you already know this, there may be others that might not. If I understood your post correctly, your boat does have these backing plates. Does it?

OK back to the repair, Salty87 can probably steer you better here but I'll give it a shot. In my opinion, to fix this properly, the engine is going to have to come out. As to the best way to patch it, I won't BS, I just don't know. SALTY, SPEAK UP BUDDY.

Once the holes themselves are fixed, I have three ideas as to how to beef up the mounting spots so this won't happen again. These are purely my ramblings and dont feel obligated to even consider them. These are ordered by ascending levels of cost and overkill factor.

First,at the very least I would have some larger backing plates fabricated to spread the load out.

Level 2, not too bad overkill, but I doubt supra would pay to have this done. I would have two sets of backing plates made. For the first set, I would glass them into the transom using structural biaxial roving covering a considerably larger area than the plates themselves. I would apply several layers of the structural glass directly to the transom, then the backing plate and then more structural glass over that making a samwidge of transom-glass-plate-moreglass. Then when you mount the platform brackets you use the second set of backing plates you had made on top of the plate/fiberglass samwidge. IMO this the the way it outta been done in the first place.

Level 3. This is serious overkill, but it is how I would do it on my 1992 boat if this happened, and only because I plan to keep it forever. No way in hell supra would pay for this (won't i look like an arse if this is how they actually build them :) ). I would add a completely unreasonable thickness of structural glass and perhaps a layer of 1/2" - 3/4" foam coring sandwidged in between. This reinforcement would cover the width of the boat and go from the bottom of the transom (including around the sometimes leaky exhaust outlets) up to and several inches above the lifting eyes and the tubing tow eye. On my boat basically from the bottom up to the rubrail.

I hope you have a good dealer. I'm looking forward to seeing how SC steps up and handles this AND how they handle the gentlemen in the other thread's gelcoat cracking problems.

Platforms don't just fall off. It was either due to a manufacturing problem or a severe overload of the platform. Foiltech, if you backed into a piling or had a bunch fat girls gettin busy on the platform ya gotta fess up buddy. [:D] Otherwise, SC you're up.

Foiltech, Buddy, I thought I had a bad day. I got a ticket for not wearing my stinking killswitch. There was no wind and no seas and I was going idle speed. I wouldn't be really pissed except in its imminent wisdom, the legislature of Alabama made this a Class B misdemeanor on the same level as shoplifting, public lewdness, etc instead of on the level of say... a seatbelt or even a speeding ticket. This is like criminal record stuff. Wouldn't be a HUGE problem, but I'm a lawyer so I'll have report it to the state bar and deal with their BS. Then to top it off I got to pay $40 for PPV to watch Alabama v Tulane; the tide won but looked like complete garbage on offense b/c the off line was next to worthless. Bad friggen day, but yours was worse.

It is 3AM and i reserve the right to change or delete any part of this post whenever I wake up tomorrow.

Cheers,
DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
09-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Jesus, wall of text, sorry guys.

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Nope, Never backed into anything. Have to admit I have had a couple of fat chicks on the boat but I don't think this caused the problem. Just normal useage and when hauling my boat more than 50-100 miles I always take the platform off, I don't like the way they bounce while in tow. My friends always make fun of this. I never noticed any cracks or breaks before yesterday. So I can't imagine why this happened. The most abuse this platform has had is people diving off of it (not like a spring board) just normal diving. I assume ever one has done this from the platform. Bad thing is I was about a month away from sending this boat to Australia and getting another.

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-07-2008, 11:06 AM
The way this is attached looks like 3" self tapping screws right into the fiberglass (fairly thick though) I don't see any metal plates or anything inside the transom.

I have a fiberglass guy that says he can fix it. He also said he did not think it would be to hard to fix. It looks horrible but according to him it looks worse than it really is. He has 30+ years experience with fiberglass repair. I will have pictures made as we start taking it apart and during the repair.

I am going to take it to the Supra dealer Monday I will let all of you know what they say.

DKJBama I have the same thought about the structural glass and the plates inside the transom. I have some 3/8" and 1/2" aluminum plate that would work perfect.

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
HOLY MOLY K! That's nuts.

Todd

Hey Todd the only thing I can say that we as hydrofoilers do a little different is we have had a few newbies get on the foil on the platform it's always on the side that pulled through. I don't know if that is the cause or not. If I were you I would put some metal plates on the inside of the transom with thru bolts instead of self-tapping screws. Or make everyone get on in the water.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-07-2008, 03:48 PM
WTF, self-tapping screws? I'm biting my lip so as not to get banned.

Salty87
09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
what a story, would have expected a much older boat. i was at spot a few years ago, bands/burgers/beers right on the water kind of place. saw a boat pull out of a slip with his swim platform floating behind him, held on by something- barely. he picked it up and sat it in a seat.

will be interesting to hear what the dealer says, and see pics. the repair won't be rocket science but def. add backing plates and update the hardware to lock nuts.

i don't know about newer models but the older ones have practically non-existent backing. sounds like the dealer adds the platform when they come in?

anyone know what others makers do for backing/support?

Ed Obermeier
09-07-2008, 09:54 PM
After reading this thread I went and looked at my boat's platform mounts. They mount to the outside of the transom well below the floor level, not sure if they're through-bolted or just lag screwed into the transom (anyone know for sure?). To get to the inside of the hull it appears you'd have to rip out the floor to get down that low into the rear of the hull. How you gonna add backing plates if you can't get there?

Ed

Salty87
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
one of the brackets on mine was loose, looked like there was a leak too. this was years ago, i had someone secure it and add backing plates. so...i'm not sure what comes from the factory. the backing plates that were added to mine were nice and rusty (iron scrap i'm thinking, people i used must have hacked it). i hope the factory would have not used that crap, just some better crap...haha (this is the old factory, of course)

anyway, ed...you do have to go through the floor. you've got a newer model?

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Ok here's what I have found so far.

Had to cut a hole in the floor under the ballast bags. I found the aluminum plate that the bottom two SCREWS are supposed to be through. It was laying in the bottom of the hull, Under all the foam that is sprayed under the floor panel. ( No screw holes in this plate, so it was never attached properly.) Probably pushed off the transom with the first attempt at SCREWING the bracket to the boat.

The top 3 SCREWS are SCREWED into the foam between the floor layers. Nothing to hold them from pulling back through the Fiberglass. Reminder: these would be the fasteners that should carry most of the weight of and on the platform. Nothing I could find except the outer portion of the fiberglass hull that these SCREWS were attached to. This is the part that pulled away.

The guy I had helping me find the problem is very "in the know" 30+ years experience with fiberglass and how it should be used in different applications. He was amazed that this platform had held up for two years.

We took pictures as we went along. I will try and post these when I get a chance. So far other than getting access to the transom (cutting a hole in the floor and digging out all of the foam in the bottom) it has not been to bad.

I will be taking the boat to the dealer tomorrow. I will keep you all informed as to what they tell me.

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-07-2008, 11:00 PM
They mount to the outside of the transom well below the floor level, not sure if they're through-bolted or just lag screwed into the transom (anyone know for sure?). To get to the inside of the hull it appears you'd have to rip out the floor to get down that low into the rear of the hull. How you gonna add backing plates if you can't get there?

Ed

They used self tapping SCREWS on mine! 5 of them.

A sawsall works well to get to them. Theres three thin layers of fiberglass with foam between them.

They have a backing plate that is the exact same size as the bracket unfortunately the bottom two screws are the only ones that can hit this plate if it stays where it is supposed to.

The top three screws can't hit the plate because of the floor.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-08-2008, 02:07 AM
I'm sure SC will cover this. It's a wonder it lasted this long. Pretty big whoopsy in production. You boat must have been built the day after a Vols bowl game.

Your fiberglass guy is right, since its just the screwholes and not the whole bracket pulling through, it's not a difficult repair at all.

Thumbsup on the sawzall; your southern credentials are very much in order.

DKJ

H2Oman
09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
I am interested in seeing your pictures. I have had a hit from a semi to my swim platform. While it severely (broke, cracked, smashed) damaged the platform, the transom and brackets held up. The only damage was two stress cracks in the gel coat above both mounting plates. For that repair they did have to cut two holes in the floor to access the nuts on the back of the inner mounting plate. The 4 bolts went through the plate and have nuts securing them. There weren't any self-tapping screws. Once the repair was completed they re-glass the floor and put the carpet back down.

Good luck on the repairs. I believe that SC would take care of you since it seems like your boat wasn't assembled, as they would require.

Salty87
09-08-2008, 08:39 AM
anyone know if the factory assembles platforms or if the dealer adds them using a template? sounds like the latter. if the backing plate wasn't put in the right spot, the template is worthless.

did the boat take on water?

Ed Obermeier
09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
"anyway, ed...you do have to go through the floor. you've got a newer model?"

2000 Legacy. Checked the lag screws or whatever they are holding the platform mounting brackets (4 per bracket) and they're reasonably secure, could probably use some tightening after 8 years but I'm half afraid to try to tighten them now. Do you know for this model if they're just lag screws into (hopefully) a backing plate or through bolts to a backing plate or ??? To get to where the backing plates SHOULD be I'd have to remove the gas tank before cutting out the damn floor. If they're lag screws I suppose one could go to the next larger size of lag screw once those begin to strip out?

Ed

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I am interested in seeing your pictures. I have had a hit from a semi to my swim platform. While it severely (broke, cracked, smashed) damaged the platform, the transom and brackets held up. The only damage was two stress cracks in the gel coat above both mounting plates. For that repair they did have to cut two holes in the floor to access the nuts on the back of the inner mounting plate. The 4 bolts went through the plate and have nuts securing them. There weren't any self-tapping screws. Once the repair was completed they re-glass the floor and put the carpet back down.

Good luck on the repairs. I believe that SC would take care of you since it seems like your boat wasn't assembled, as they would require.

My boat is a 21v Launch so I'm not sure how differently they attach these brackets on the 21 and the 24 I would think the same. Obviously not. If yours has through bolts mine will have through bolts after today. Also the inner mouting plate on mine will not reach the upper three fasteners. Which seems odd.

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-08-2008, 12:36 PM
anyone know if the factory assembles platforms or if the dealer adds them using a template? sounds like the latter. if the backing plate wasn't put in the right spot, the template is worthless.

did the boat take on water?

The boat took on a small amount of water, The portion under the floor is filled with foam. And the small amount water that penetrated the transom I removed with a shop vac. so it was not much of a job.

foiltech
09-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Hey KO show us the pics of your carnage.

PS, i dont want the boat now, its broke:p

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Hey KO show us the pics of your carnage.

PS, i dont want the boat now, its broke:p

The fix is finished. Fixed the gel-coat and fiberglass on the exterior. We added approximately 1" of fiberglass to the inner side of the transom then a 7"x10" aluminum plate 1/2" thick on each side of the boat.

Then I ran seven 3/8" x 5" stainless steel bolts through the bracket, transom and the new plate, With SS fender washers and lock nuts. I also applied a marine epoxy btween the bracket and outer transom. Everything is curing now and we should have the boat out and ready to ride for the weekend.

Also we made some plastic plugs for the holes I had to cut out of the floor under the ballast bags, Just to keep water that drips from the storage covers.

I know on my style boat there is no way to check for those mounting plates other than cutting that floor out. Any of you that have this boat should pay particular attention to the brackets that hold your swim platform. The transom has alot of flex anyway, but there should be some type of stress crack around the bracket in the gel coat. I never saw any of these. Although a friend of mine from Australia says he noticed a couple of cracks in my gel coat when he was here a few weeks ago.

So be careful; If it falls off in the water (like Mine) you will probably be Ok. If it falls off on the trailer while climbing into the boat that's a pretty good DROP! OUCH!!! Good Luck. I think mine is 100 times better than before.

Many thanks to all that gave advice and to the fiberglass guy that helped me with this repair.

Ed Obermeier
09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
So does anyone know for sure how Supra mounts their platforms to the hull? Is it a light weight plate built into the inside of the hull at a specific location, then the platform mounts are attached with self tapping lag screws (hopefully) into the plate? Are they ever through bolted? Some other method? Is this the same for all models/years?

Ed

1suprassv
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Dude, been reading this thread and STILL NO RESPONSE, from SC, WTF?????????????????????????????

DKJBama92Mariah
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Dude, Read it again. he fixed it himself. :D

Ed Obermeier
09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Still waiting for someone to tell us how Supra mounts their platforms to their hulls. Or is this something no one from SC really wants to diiscuss?

Ed

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I had my 08 24 SSV to a fiberglass guy today to install a Keel Shield (couldn't do it
myself because of the way the trailer bunks are - have to lift the boat).

I had him check it out ... because of K's problem. He told me mine was nice and secure,
the top 3 bolts are thru-bolted, with nuts inside the transom - large piece of wood
inside. Bottom 2 bolts are just screwed into the fiberglass - he said he wouldnt' change
anything - but just to watch the nuts on the top 3 and make sure they stay tight.

Todd

That's good to know the 24' are different than my 21. Mine could have been put on when someone at the plant was having a bad day or at 4:55pm Friday.

foiltech
09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
That's good to know the 24' are different than my 21. Mine could have been put on when someone at the plant was having a bad day or at 4:55pm Friday.

Or after a couple of bottles of Crown Royal:rolleyes:

1suprassv
09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Dude, Read it again. he fixed it himself. :D

I can read, obviously you didn't comprehend. My post read WTF??? Why hasn't SC (Skiers Choice) responded YET????? GD learn to read, the question wasn't has it been fixed? but where's SC in this matter? And I would be friggin pissed if the platform on my relatively new boat came off/fell off!!! Whatever have you, it's total b*llshit that he had to fix it himself for obvious reasons with obvious reasons for its demise.

DKJBama92Mariah
09-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I can read, obviously you didn't comprehend. My post read WTF??? Why hasn't SC (Skiers Choice) responded YET????? GD learn to read, the question wasn't has it been fixed? but where's SC in this matter? And I would be friggin pissed if the platform on my relatively new boat came off/fell off!!! Whatever have you, it's total b*llshit that he had to fix it himself for obvious reasons with obvious reasons for its demise.

Easy now. No need bust a blood vessel. I did lay on the sarcasm a little thick there, but notice the smiley.

Supra may choose to address their customer service issue in a personal manner rather than airing it out on a public forum. Maybe you might ask him if he ever heard anything back from SC or the dealer without going postal.

I do agree, however, the platform falling off is pretty piss poor.

On the other hand, when the actual owner of the boat doesn't seem too enraged about it, I have a hard time listening to a third party raise hell about it. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.

I will apologize for my sarcasm, but I'd like to ask you to lay off the attitude just a smidge. We are adults here and can disagree in a respectful manner.

Good Day,
DKJ

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Or after a couple of bottles of Crown Royal:rolleyes:

I do my best work after a little Crown Royal.

The boat is fixed and doing just fine now. Thanks to all for the post and concerns. The reason I went ahead and fixed mine myself was the dealers I talked to were totally useless. All they told me was to take it somewhere else. They could NOT (WOULD NOT)get to it.

Thanks to The Sport Shop in Roxboro, NC (The Supra dealer around here) For NOTHING your dealer ship will NEVER get any business from me!!!!!

I will get a canoe before I buy anything from these people.

1suprassv
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Easy now. No need bust a blood vessel. I did lay on the sarcasm a little thick there, but notice the smiley.

I will apologize for my sarcasm, but I'd like to ask you to lay off the attitude just a smidge. We are adults here and can disagree in a respectful manner.

Good Day,
DKJ

Not busting blood vessels and SORRY ;) as well if it came off a bit disrespectful but I am absolutely sick and GD tired of these "dealers" and SC making the money their making and not following through with their end involving warranties and workmanship. If your own dealer can't fix it, then remove the dealership!!!!! This is absolutely,without a doubt a far too accepted practice among us, the buying public whose support allows the manufacturer to continue making these boats. If the manufacturer and dealer cant get their crap together, including my own with blisters on the hull, THEN SCREW THEM! I will pay 70+k for a Nautique and talk sh*t all day about SC considering my local nautique dealer is well respected. Service or lack thereof should be first and foremost and dealt with swiftly and appropriately. To tell a customer to take it somewhere else is mindblowing. This thread is a prime example of the Malibu dealer here in town with no tech's and/or communication with potential and present owners regarding repairs. I thought SC was a more reputable company than that, obviously I was wrong and still want answers for this problem and mine. What's the logic for not responding? A big thumbs up for Foiltech for posting and remaining relatively calm, at least here in the forums. Have no idea what his demeanor is or was during the repair process, but his attitude from fix day forward will ultimately be a test of fate for he and his family to ever purchase another product from SC. I know what mine is....a product with warranty but never acknowledged, properly fixed or repaired has made its mark.

foiltech
09-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I do my best work after a little Crown Royal.

The boat is fixed and doing just fine now. Thanks to all for the post and concerns. The reason I went ahead and fixed mine myself was the dealers I talked to were totally useless. All they told me was to take it somewhere else. They could NOT (WOULD NOT)get to it.

Thanks to The Sport Shop in Roxboro, NC (The Supra dealer around here) For NOTHING your dealer ship will NEVER get any business from me!!!!!

I will get a canoe before I buy anything from these people.

So what are you really saying here:)
Thats a pitty they wernt interested in helping you out. Clay seemed like a really nice bloke when we were there. Oh well im sure there are some better dealers out there willing to let you spend your money with them when you order the new boat

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I will be contacting the Dealer in Knoxvlle Tenn. Have heard nothing but GREAT things about that place.:D:D

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Foiltech (DownUnder) When will you want this boat sent to you?????

foiltech
09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
How much ? $$$$$$$$$$$. Need to look at shipping as well. That will be the major factor in buying.
I know the boat is thrashed and the transom has fallen out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

FoiltechLaunch21V
09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
How much ? $$$$$$$$$$$. Need to look at shipping as well. That will be the major factor in buying.
I know the boat is thrashed and the transom has fallen out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

$75,000.00 USD + shipping. Hydrofoil racks do not go with it.

hairfarmeriwish
02-15-2009, 07:58 AM
My 2008 21v swim deck fell off today. I have only had the boat for a few months and I dont even know any fat chicks either. The bracket that holds the deck on is held on by 3 long self tapping stainless screws. Most just ripped out of the fibreglass, but 2 had snapped off. I had seen that when I purchased the boat that there was one bottom screw missing and had replaced that one. The outside screw kept coming loose and a bit of silcon fixed that. Today I couldnt see any reason why the top scres just pulled out.

I had a lood and to fix or to add a backing plate and then bolt you would need to remove the floor on the rear lockers to get to the plate.

I rang my dealer who is getting back to me. I love the boat, bit mnor things like this shouldnt happen on an expensive boat. Any suggestion on how to fix this please.

cheers