PDA

View Full Version : leaking muffler on 91 comp

Nick H
05-15-2003, 05:40 PM
ive just noticed that i seem to be getting water in from the rear left hand muffler. Im not sure if its coming from a joint or if the muffler itself is split/leaking. Do the mufflers split ?
is it more likely a joint ? How do i go about removing the muffler to check it and how do i refit it (or a replacement) and seal the joints ?

91 comp
351 pcm

ps, my boat has been converted to propane gas and so has a cylindrical tank instead of the usual petrol tank so there is a lot more room for access to the mufflers.

gm
05-17-2003, 09:35 PM
The first place to look is around the exhaust protector, or the flap on the outside of the hull. Pull it off and reseal it or replace them. I thought mine was leaking and it turned out to be coming in from under the rub rail. I have siliconed it for now and will replace rub rail for one of next winters projects. Greg

StylinSupra23
05-19-2003, 11:16 AM
I'm having a similiar problem where I'm almost sure that I am taking on water through the exhaust. As I'm driving when you give it a considereable amount of gas water starts flowing out of the drivers side stringer cavity. I'm not totally sure that its a leaky muffler because I can't smell any exhaust fumes but were talking about quite of water. After driving it for a couple of minutes especially pulling someone the water gets to about the top of the front bilge pump after stopping. My question is there any way to tell for sure without pulling up the floor. My rub rail is not in the best of shape but I just can't imagine that much water coming through there. I ran my fake a lake for a little while but that didn't tell me much. Any insight?

Salty87
05-19-2003, 12:42 PM
there are a few threads on this issue. i'm seeing the exact same thing, same side of the boat ('87 Saltare). i'm going to play around with the rudder to make sure that's not leaking, but i've looked all over and think its under the floor, too.

dba4life
05-19-2003, 01:10 PM
I have the same issue on my 90 Comp. I am trying all the "easy" stuff to lessen the water in the hull. I have made a good start. Prop seal and rudder seal were leaking and are now fixed. That made a nice difference. Next I am going to re-silicone under the rub rail. I looked an it is just about all gone underneath. I am also going to do the exhaust flap. I will see then how much water is getting in.

StylinSupra23
05-20-2003, 09:26 AM
I found out that a lot of my water was coming in through the rub rail. I put I strip of duct tape around the rail before taking it out last night and a drastic improvement was made. Just to give an update. It's amazing how much water can come through there.

Nick H
06-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Ive discovered that the leak on my boat was from the small light fitting at the rear just above the swim platform. When someone is standing on the platform the light is below the waterline as so water can pour in. I refiited the light with plenty of new sealer and Hey Presto, no more leak.

Nick H

90 comp