PDA

View Full Version : damper plate

paolaken
05-16-2003, 06:30 PM
i lost drive and reverse. the tranny seems to check out ok. i believe the problem is in the damper plate. sound resonable? it's a 87 sunsport, 351 1:1 tranny. can the damper plate be replaced by just pulling the tranny? that looks to be the easiest. can handle that my self but pulling the engine might be tougher. anyone changed a damper plate? any tips?
next question. i have quite a bit of water leaking in around the drive shaft. havn't checked the packing yet but think maybe the seal thru the hull is bad and needs replaced. any info on changing that? sounds like the two need done at the same time. stuffing box i think its called. ski dim store has a pss seal that requires no packing. is this the way to go? thanks all, any info would be helpful. paolaken, 87 sunsport

paolaken
05-16-2003, 06:31 PM
when i lost forward and reverse, there is a noise coming from the bell housing. thanks

Brian Raymond
05-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Dampner plates are gravy to change. Remove the bolts from the trans. mount, remove ex. hoses, and disconnect the control cables and shaft coupler. Lift the back of the motor by the lifting ring. Remove all mounting bolts of the bell housing. There are 11/16th nuts behind the mounts, these have to be rmoved by a wrench, these hold the trans. on studs from the motor. There are also (2 )1/2 inch bolts that hold the flywheel splashgaurd in place at the bottom front side of the bellhousing. Lift the motor up and remove trans., this will expose the plate on the flywheel. If the plate is truly bad, there will be broken springs in it. One way to verify the plate is blown, is to remove the starter(before above work is done), and reach inside the bellhousing to verify there are metal shards and spring pieces lying there, then do above. The dripless packing is all up to you my brother. Ask the site on any pros and cons of this system, I am neut. Brian Raymond

paolaken
05-17-2003, 12:59 PM
brian, thanks for the reply. so i do have to lift the motor out to remove the trans? thats the only part i unsure of. will the tranny come out without removing the engine? thanks, ken

Brian Raymond
05-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Do not remove the motor mount bolts, just the mentioned. When lifting by the rear lifting ring. the motor will pivot on the mounts and let the trans. come up and the front of the motor to go down. when the job is completed, and everything but the coupler are fastened, I suggest a motor alignment before connecting the coupler. If you are unfamiliar with this process, have this done at a certified inboard dealer(or contact [email protected]). This will help with vibration, strut bearing wear, and frequent packing gland adjustments.Brian Raymond