PDA

View Full Version : Wood rot in stringers

87 Sunsport
05-23-2003, 07:11 AM
I am starting to think that with the help of this board, Anthony at Skiers Choice and Vince at SKIDIM my boat and I will last for ever. But, I have this nagging feeling that the end will come, and it will be stringer rot.
So far I have reattached the swim platform with steel plates behind the transom, I've rebuilt the captains chair which basically disintergrated, replaced the small section of floor behind the engine well, and replaced all the loose lag bolts with larger sizes and 3m adhesive where they bolt the steel pylon to the stringers. I think maybe these are all symptoms of an ultimate stringer disaster. In fact I'm reluctant to really torque the engine mount lag bolts.

The question is what to do. Ignore it? Plan a trip to the inlaws and stop in tennesee with the boat? Rip the floor out this winter? Do one of those epoxy injection systems around the mounting bolts?

azcummins
06-03-2003, 10:32 AM
87sunsport-
My 89 Comp had a shot floor so to make it seaworthy, I took it back to Anthony @ Skier's Choice and let them have their way with it. Two months later, I have a brand new boat. New stringers, new fiberglass in the bildge, new floor, new carpet, wet sanded the gel and paid the bill ($7000). It wasn't cheap, but it was way cheaper than a $40-50k new Supra. I've had professional boarders behind my boat and they say the wake is awesome.

If you can afford a new one, buy one, but if you don't want to got into serious debt, then get your boat "factory refurbished" like I did. Anthony will treat you well.

email me if you have any ?s

dba4life
06-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Do you have any picts of that boat? Would love to see the work. Sounds great.

Thanks
Kevin

azcummins
06-10-2003, 08:13 AM
I'll post some pics later today when I take some on the water. I have some old pics that were taken before the boat got torn apart so I'll post those too.