PDA

View Full Version : Clearing a check engine light?

jonyb
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM
How many times does it take turning the ignition on/off to reset the ECU? I got a CEL the other day and I think it's because the oil level was low.

OUI
10-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Try diconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.

DKJBama92Mariah
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I really wish I could help here, but gotta admit I know next to nothing about the new Indmar/GM EFI motors. Any way you can stick a carb on it? :D

jonyb
10-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, and DKJ, no chance :D

Seabeejamie
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
There is an OBD II connector on my 2002 Launch near the transmission. I have not had to connect my reader yet to see if it would work, but I imagine it would. OBD II is an ANSI standard. If you don't have a code reader, most chain auto shops will read a code for free. If it does come back with Low Oil Level, you can reset the code (and the MIL/CEL) with the reader at that time.

tg0824SSVGG
10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
It's my understanding that "marine" ODB II has a different standard and name and that
the standard ODB II will not work. (this is true for my 08, not sure about your 02)

And the most simple readers for this format (can't remember the name at the moment) are NOT CHEAP.

jonyb
10-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I think one of the tech's or employee's of either SC or Indmar replied to this same question earlier this year. IIRC it's turning the key on/off so many times. I don't have a local dealer so it's not as easy to get with them and I don't have a scantool.

tg0824SSVGG
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
jonyb - I had experience recently at Lake Powell where the code went away after like 3 starts - but I also had one that was "STUCK" and would only clear with the reader.

I am sure yours is like mine - where when we get "SERVICE REQUIRED" - if the Perfect
Pass was on - it's stuck on and stuck at the speed you were at, likewise it it's off, it can't be turned off.

We were at Powell, had just pulled a newbie at 18 - the other riders all wanted 22/23 and
were upset - but then after 3 starts - problem cleared (whew!)

My cars are like this too - where there are transient ones, and persistent ones.

jonyb
10-14-2008, 12:44 AM
What happened when it came on?

Just launched, planed out and drove about 100 yards when I lost power. The boat wouldn't go over 3000 rpm. I had just put about 25 gallons in the fuel tank and it was pretty low when I put the fuel in it. I'm assuming trash got in the filter because after sitting for a minute it cleared up and ran fine the rest of the day.