PDA

View Full Version : Engine "hunting" at idle

azcummins
06-08-2003, 12:07 AM
I have a 89 Comp with 302 hrs on the boat. When i first start the boat up on the lake, it idles fine. After about an hour on the water, when I bring the boat back to idle, it starts "hunting" or acting like it is going to die, then it comes back to life, then it goes back down again. I've changed the fuel filter and I'm running 92 Octane with lead additive.

I don't think i've set the idle too low as it idles fine when I first get it out on the lake. Also, the boat runs fine when I'm running it above idle.

any ideas? thanks!

Boiler with a Supra
06-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Mark,

I have an 89' comp as well with 400 hrs and it has done the same thing. I am by no means an expert, more just an owner that knows enough to be dangerous. I have had the boat since 75 hrs and have taken miticulous care. I have gone the route of carb cleaner and idle adjustment. This stage is usually my precursor to a carb rebuild. It always seems to start this way and then progress to dieing at idle while out to finally dieing at the dock. I am not aware of any damage that occurs as you continue down this path. The rebuild was always instant relief. I am on my third rebuild. The key is don't make the mistake of taking the "big trip" when on the "verge". I won't go into further details. Everyone I have talked to simply attributes it to the fact that the environment these are kept/stored does not lend itself to peak carb performance. I have always questioned if the fogging is a contributor as well. But by all means it is a necessity. Let me know how you make out and I will continue to monitor for the experts opinion.

azcummins
06-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Boiler-
thanks for the reply. My carb was rebuilt in '95 and the shop that did it said it was full of water. Since '95, the boat was used about half a dozen times, then put into hibernation for 5 years. Got it factory restored this year, but they didn't want to touch the motor. I agree with you that the environment these carbs work in sucks so I bet that is a lot of my problem. I just hate having the boat off the water for 1-2 weeks during the season. In the mean time, I've found if I turn the idle up a bit, then it fixes the issue. I'll see if I can stickout the season, then do it in the spring in time for next season.

Salty87
06-13-2003, 01:11 PM
azcummins.....

what do you mean by factory restored? by skier's choice?....

thanks,
kevin