PDA

View Full Version : Sound system for an older boat

azcummins
06-11-2003, 09:49 PM
I have an 89 COMP that is in bad need of a sound system. I don't want to go overboard on price, but i'm more concerned about the setup. These are issues at hand, let me know what you think:

1.) Location of head unit. I like how the new boats have the head unit in the "glove compartment". I'd have to replace the glove compartment piece, so are they available online anywhere?

2.) AMP. I'm thinking the best place to mount it would be on the vertical wall underneath the front deck. Just wondering if I should mount it in a sealed box or not.

3.) Speaker locations. My boat has round holes cut on the sides of the boat between the front seat and the rear seat. I'm just concerned about water getting into them as water can splash over the sides of a wet skier would sit above them. Should I just go with waterproof speakers and forget about it?

4.) Second battery : needed for just one small to mid sized amp?

thanks!

Salty87
06-13-2003, 01:03 PM
my suggestions:
1. my head unit is in the stock location in the dash, it's pretty well covered by the windshield. the glove box location is nice if the driver can reach it, otherwise you'll probably wish it was closer to the driver. you could get a marine unit if you're that worried but don't bother with marine anything else.

2. my amps are on a vertical board that i added using 'L' brackets to secure the board to the floor and then secured it to a wall for stability. don't try to secure it to the hull, though. also, i'd avoid a sealed box....it needs air to cool down.

3. i'm using car speakers with no problems and plenty of water getting splashed around. just make sure the speakers you pick are polypropelene....i'm running infinity kappa's

4. the 2nd battery is only necessary if you plan to sit around with the engine off and the stereo on. otherwise, the alternator will be able to recharge the battery. you might want to consider a jump-pack though for enough juice to get the engine started if you need it. and, idling to recharge the battery doesn't work....alternator doesn't kick in until around 1500 rpm's. idling with the stereo on will suck the charge out of a battery.

i'm upgrading mine soon, new tower speakers and maybe another sub.

kevin

azcummins
06-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Salty-
Do yo pull your system out at the end of summer to keep it fron corroding over the winter? I noticed you live in Austin (i'm thinking of moving there next summer) so I know you all get nailed with the humidity. Do you even have an off season?

Salty87
06-13-2003, 04:58 PM
austin is so kick ass, several lakes within an hour to chose from. lots of wakeboarders and nope, no real off season....at least i don't winterize but i do have a drysuit.

i have a detachable face on my cd player, only 1 problem with it when a cd was halfway ejected for a huge rain storm....i'm shopping for a new one now, doh! my bad though, the only night in the last 3 months i left it out and it rained hard. no problems with amps either, all automotive- nothing marine.