PDA

View Full Version : moisture under floor

jsrasband
06-13-2003, 08:05 AM
I have a problem with moisture under my floorboard.pluged all leaks ,now how do I dry it out?How big of job to take floor off?Is there a better way?

Salty87
06-13-2003, 01:08 PM
man, i'm afraid to look under mine, you might find more than you wanted.

search, there are several threads about floors and leaks. there's foam under there and really only 1 way to dry it.....take it out. that's a big job that could lead to bigger jobs.

jsrasband
06-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Salty 87,
I am afraid your right. My understanding is there is nothing to rot under there so for now I'll keep using it and this winter tackle the job.

Don Voigt
07-07-2003, 05:44 PM
They are right. no easy way to fix it and the floor must come up to dry. When dry, cut out the rot, fix and glass it, replace the foam. Re-floor and then seal the floor. Factory did a stupid assembly when they cut a 4" hole under the drivers seat, I assume to install the foam, then didn't seal it in my '87 Sunsport which lead to the demise of the floor in that area. It's worth fixing and not really hard, just time consuming.

87 Sunsport
07-14-2003, 12:14 PM
I would like to share some specifics on wood repair with some of the other 87 Sunsport owners.

First, When I had to remount my swim platform due to transome rot I had to cut a hole in the ski locker. I have heard other boat owners refer to a tray that can be removed from the locker. I don't think our model has anything removable.

I have replaced the removable section of floor behind the engine cover with a wood, steel, and glass piece, that was easy, it just popped out.
I have to do something with the floor under the captains chair, it's rotten. I'm thinking of just pulling the carpet and using a low viscosity epoxy to saturate the wood, I also intend to inject this into the stringers around the engine mounts.

On the 87 Sunsport there is a coping of fiberglass that curves down to the floor with capped stainless screws about every 8 inches. Can you pull those screws and lift that off the floor to pull up the carpet or cut out the floor, or do you just cut where the fiberglass curves down to the floor?

Thanks