PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil

Seabeejamie
10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
OK...I know that SC recommends the Pennzoil marine. Problem is, I HATE Pennzoil. I have rebuilt several 350's that have run Pennzoil, and the sludge build up it creates is awful. I have been running Valvoline 20-50 this season, put a lot of hours on (3 oil changes worth) and I am getting ready to shut it down for the winter. I run Mobil 1 in my cars (honda, mercedes and suburban). I love it and it always has the "like new" viscosity and clarity when I change it. Any thoughts on using synthetic in an Indmar Assault? I have 460 hrs on the boat already, so break in is not an issue. Runs like a top and doesnt leak a bit. If not synthetic, what are your thoughts on the Valvoline 20-50? I am in North Texas, don't run it in the winter, will lay it up right after Halloween.

tg0824SSVGG
10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I have also been skeptical of the Pennzoil - but that's not even available around here
without a hassle.

SC is now telling my local dealer to use Shell Rotella instead - I checked the specs
and it's a fine match.

I have used Rotella in my deisels for a long time (although I use synthetic there).

I also checked the Indmar site - and it says it's ok not to use Pennzoil if you can't find it in your area - just to make sure the specs meet the minimum.

If the valvoline does ... I would not feel bad about using it - but I am using hte Rotella
now, it seems to be available anywhere around here (northern Colorado)

Check here: http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html

And they say:

2.4 What type of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic oil?

Indmar recommends (and uses at our factory) Pennzoil Marine 15W40 Motor Oil. If Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil is not available in your area, we suggest using 20W40 or 20W50 oil meeting the API specification of SJ/CG4 or better.

Synthetic oil that meets our requirement of 15W40and API rating of SJ/CJ4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours or operation with the recommended (not synthetic) oil. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the requirement for oil changes at 50-hour intervals.

Older operator manuals, and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current operator manuals, and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated.

Seabeejamie
10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks TG...Thats exactly what I was looking for. I think I am going to go ahead and run the Synthetic.

DKJBama92Mariah
10-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I run Shell Rotella T 15W-40. My oil guy seems to think that I can get away with a 30w so I may try that next year to get my oil pressure down smidge 60-80psi (either that or my gauge sucks).

Synthetic is great, just remember that the engine manufacturers state that even if you run sythetic you should not use that as a justification for extending the drain intervals.

Seabeejamie
10-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I am pretty good about the oil change, typically 40 hours for fear of hitting the 50 on a weekend.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
10-29-2008, 06:37 PM
I use Royal Purple 20/50 synthetic oil as the lake temperture is high where I
use my boat, they also make a 15/40 grade that is designed for marine or diesel use, with 400 plus hrs I recomend the 20/50 grade you will notice a higher pressure at idle when using 20/50 remember marine engine work hard all the time, that is why bearing clearances are aprox 3 thousands of a inch just like race car engines so a heaver grade oil is not a bad idea.I use synthetic oil in everything I own .

Synthetic oil that meets our requirement of 15W40and API rating of SJ/CJ4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours or operation with the recommended (not synthetic) oil. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the requirement for oil changes at 50-hour intervals.

Older operator manuals, and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current operator manuals, and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated.[/QUOTE]

Seabeejamie
10-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks 2002...and I like your choice in boats!

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
11-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks 2002...and I like your choice in boats!

Sounds like we have the same boat.I thought they called them a launch 21
as they are 21.4 ft without swimgrid. Is yours a direct drive also??
Dave