PDA

View Full Version : Haul with cover or not?

azcummins
06-16-2003, 10:12 AM
I'm about to take my boat on a 1100 mi. road trip from Colorado to Tennessee and I can't decided if I want to haul the boat with the cover on it. I was always told that the wind from the drive would wreak havoc on the cover (makes sense to me), but I want to protect the boat from the rocks and road grime from any rainstorm I might run through.

What do you all think? Haul with it or leave it off and save the cover?

DCM
06-16-2003, 12:22 PM
It's not the cover I would worry about, it's the gelcoat. The constant flapping of the cover will wear on the gelcoat. I have snap on covers and I trailer the boat with those on, but only short trips.

Salty87
06-16-2003, 02:37 PM
i'd leave it off too, if your straps are using the trailer, they can wear through the paint there also. you might end up with more damage and needing a new cover than the chips and dirt.

got mudflaps?

azcummins
06-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Salty-
Got mud flaps and they do a pretty good job. I also worried about the nasty road grime that will be all over the inside of the boat if I have to run through a storm. Sounds like the cost of fixing my gel would be much higher than wiping down the road grime.

Brian Raymond
06-16-2003, 10:29 PM
I suggest not covering the boat, the above statements are correct. for that long of a journey, and with the concerns of road grime, I would set an appt. with your local dealer, or marina to have the boat shrink wrapped for your journey to Tn., it will be worth the $ in cleaning and/or damage. I would deffinately do the same for the return trip. For a Supra dealer in Tn. contact; [email protected]. Bring a grease gun and lug wrench, be sure to maintenance the trailer along the way, and maintain proper pressure in the tires, a spare tire mounted on a wheel would be well worth the investment. Have a safe trip. Brian Raymond

mr.jrc
06-27-2003, 12:25 PM
I agree, hauling with the cover is damaging to the gelcoat. I have hauled my '86 Saltare from NY to South Carolina several times, once with the cover, every time there-after without. The windage on the cover stresses it out and causes it to flap against the gelcoat. It is alot easier to clean out the road grim and possible air out a wet boat than to buff out the gelcoat.

dndsam
06-29-2003, 08:48 PM
I always travel with my cover on if i know for sure it is going to rain. I am too picky to have the inside of my boat saoked and trashed with road grime. I have not had any problems with my cover or gel coat. If I know it is not going to rain I do not use my cover, better gas mileage. The covers that are sold with the boats are not all that great for the long term. When this cover gets trashed, I will have a custom cover made out of a heavy grade Sunbrella material at a local tent and awning shop. Drop the boat off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. I have had one made for my old boat it was definatley the best cover made. Very snug fit with no loose sections to flap in the wind. My 2 cents worth.

07-07-2003, 05:25 PM
I think the shrink wrap would be ideal. Cover needs to be secured well to the trailer if you cover; the ideal cover with come down nearly to the trailer rails to protect the sides also.
Use enough bungees to keep the cover tight and be sure that they don't hit the side of the boat or the cover either.
With all the problems of water intrusion into the floors and cushion backing boards of these boats, seems to me I want to keep the water out at every opportunity.

Spotts
05-30-2004, 12:14 PM
If you have a snap cover (little snap clips about every 12inches) I wouldn't worry about using the cover. On the other hand, if you have a regular cover that has straps and such I wouldn't cover the boat. My boat has a two piece snap on cover (one piece for the front and one for the back) that came with the boat from the factory. My dealer said it wouldn't do any damage to tow with the cover on. He said the only time you have to worry about that is when you have the regular covers with straps because they'll smack the boat from the wind. hope this was helpful...

jflock2
05-31-2004, 08:45 PM
I have the snap on cover and have towed it hundreds of miles with the cover on with no problems. I like to "shrink wrap" idea. Either way, I'd cover it if you're expecting bad weather. As cheezy as it sounds, Saran Wrap may work on the smaller areas like speakers, etc...good luck.

jflock2
05-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah, take along a bottle of Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover!