PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue

88Supra M
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi all, new here. Maybe some of you can hopefully help me out and I can return the favor in the near future.
My 88 Supra is dead! Nothing electrical works. 2 batterys in boat, they both show 12.3 volts, used amp meter on kill switch and the 50 amp breaker on engine block. Both are working and getting current. Before I get into the tracing of wires, is their something else that may cause this? Could there be an inline fuse somewhere? The 40 amp fuse at the battery is good also.
I feel it is something simple, but then again:confused:

Salty87
10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
welcome to the board

have you checked to see if it is in neutral?...at the transmission, not just the throttle lever. the lever can get out of adjustment and look in neutral while the transmission is still in gear.

no battery selector switch?

i'm just sticking with easiest for now. when you say it's dead...there's nothing, no clicks or anything?

tg0824SSVGG
10-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Does the boat have a "safety kill switch" - typically a lanyard that is supposed
to connect to you somehow?

I have seen people THINK they are not switched off, and take to the dealer, only to be
told ... the kill switch was off.

If you have one, make sure it's not "off" - they can look "on" ...

Good Luck

88Supra M
10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
I do have a battery selector switch. I did not check that last night, but I will this evening. When I activate the kill switch the boat is dead, the clock will not tick, no accessories, no blowers etc...I do have voltage at the kill switch.
The only other thing that I know of that will shut down the boat, is that 50 amp breaker on the engine block.

DKJBama92Mariah
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Welcome 88SupraM,

Assuming from your post that your connections to the battery and switch are clean and tight, you should check the other end of the cables. The ground goes to the engine block and the pos goes to the starter solenoid. If you're comfortable with your multimeter, this shouldn't be too difficult to track down. Start with the simple and free stuff first.

If the blowers, nav lights, and bilge pump are not working, it is NOT an issue with the purple ignition circuit as these run off the main fuse panel which is powered by the RED 12 ga wire that comes from the engine to the fuse panel. The source of power for this wire is off the switched side of the 50amp breaker. The other side of that breaker will be powered by a wire coming from the hot side of the starter solenoid.

It is possible for you to have a good voltage reading on the multimeter while the circuit is still unable to carry any load at all because of a loose connection causing increased resistance somewhere in the circuit.

Please let us know if there are any other details that we've missed.

Cheers,
DKJ