PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing Compound?

98SupraComp
06-27-2003, 09:14 PM
I have water lines on my 98 comp from it sitting in the water, will rubbing compound ruin the paint? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on removing the lines? Thanks

87 Sunsport
06-28-2003, 07:38 AM
I don't think there is any paint, just gelcoat and decal, and they are unaffected by rubbing compound. I use starbright boat wash or any (sodium triphosphate?) caustic wash, it's easier. They will tear up metal and flesh if you don't rinse well.

95 Mariah
07-25-2003, 12:32 PM
I had water lines and tried about everything. Finally, I tried Sno-Bowl. It took everything off and did not harm the finish.

kurtk
07-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Muratic acid will remove the hard water. Or you can by a bottle of Spa Cleaner form a hot tub store it is a mild version of the Muratic acid. It works great.

04-05-2004, 02:27 PM
My 86 SupraComp had never been cleaned when I bought it last year. I just replaced all the flooring and carpet over the winter and decided to try and bring back the original black shine. The only thing I found that works is a product by 3M called Finesse-It. It's very heavy grit and takes a lot of time and elbow grease, but it looks brand new!! Expect to pay approx. $35 per bottle (I only used 2/3 of my bottle for the entire boat). After rubbing compound, you may want to use some yellow wax just to keep it shiny all summer. Good luck.

suckmywake
04-05-2004, 03:50 PM
be careful w/ the rubbing compound on the colored gelcoat, you can rub it right out! Any good toilet bowl cleaner will work. Personally, I use Muratic acid and cut it w/ water by about 40-50%. Make sure you thoroughly rinse your trailer down and driveway(if it's blacktop) as it will tear that up too!! I do mine at in-laws w/ gravel driveway!

tcdailey3
12-23-2004, 07:31 AM
On my 01 SSV I use 3M light grade rubbing compound and then wax. My boat is black and off white, I've never had it mix the two colors or distort any colors. Although I do all of the rubbing by hand and not with a buffer. It is hard work but you will never find a singal water spot on my boat, when people see it they think it is new. The rubbing compound will also minimize small or shallow scratches. The interior I use products that are rated with a UV protectant. In the end its worth the work.