PDA

View Full Version : Lost Rudder Today!?!

DKJBama92Mariah
06-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi all
I was out today and pulling a slalom skier. She fell and as i brought the boat around to pick her up i lost all steering. Needless to say, the poor girl had a long way to swim. I dove under the boat and the rudder was completely gone. It snapped off at the shaft coming out of the plate that mounts to the bottom of the boat.
Has anyone ever heard of this before. I didn't strke an underwater object. However, the like a ride on is relatively trashy and the rudder has most definitely been hit before. (I have to get the prop repitched and balanced about 1-2 time a year.) I am guessing that the shaft had been fatigued from being hit some other time and the thrust from the prop just snapped it off.
Where can i source the original supra rudder. I have seen rudders in the Discount Inboard Marine catalog, but they don't look the same. There isn't a supra dealer very close to where i live and my tow vehicle isn't up to a long tow with this bog of a boat. We live on the lake and keep the boat on a lift, so it is only towed a couple time a year when i go to another nearby lake.
Also, would it be possible to change the rudder out myself? I am very comfortable with engines and most anything mechanical, but i am nervous about messing with the fiberglas hull.
Could anyone give me a rough guesstimate on how much $$$ (parts/labor) i am looking at for this job.
Unfortunately, this means that my boating season is pretty much over. I am guessing i will take a month for the local shop to get to it, and i leave town to start law school in 3 weeks. Oh well, there is always next year.

Thanks for reading this long post and any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Later,
DKJ

Brian Raymond
06-28-2003, 10:32 PM
I am sorry to hear of your issue, but DO NOT let it ruin your ski season. The exact rudder can be purchased directly through SkiersChoice. You must first verify that there is no structural damage outside or inside of the rudder port area. If by chance, there is no visible damage, the rudder and rudder port can be replaced(even on a lift). For parts info. contact the "Parts Guru", Anthony Cooper, be sure to have hull I.D.# and model info. available. He can be reached at (865)856-3035x118, or email;[email protected]. Hope this helps.Brian Raymond