PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/Muffler leak

cryonchick
06-30-2003, 10:16 PM
I just bought an 88 Supra Bravura, took it out, raw water pump impeller went, overheated the engine, and now i have water coming in the boat. My bilge pump wasn't keeping up. It doesn't appear to be coming from the rubber hoses coming down off the headers, but it has to be coming from somewhere. Also I lost both of my exhaust covers at the same time this all happened. Are there mufflers in my boat underneath the floor? Where to start ??

gm
07-02-2003, 08:59 PM
I have an 89 Comp and had water coming in the back. It took a while for me to find it. I thought it was coming in around the exhaust or the rudder box. I need to replace the rub rail around boat. Was going to make that a project this last winter and ran out of money. Instead I took a caulk gun and used silicone around rub rail over and under it. Caulked it up good and have not had leak since. Also, part of the rub rail along the back had come loose and was sticking out. No good way to fix that without replacing the whole thing. For now I simply filled up all the space with silicone. This will work for a short fix. I used the clear silicone. Not quite so noticeable. Goodluck

cryonchick
07-02-2003, 11:22 PM
After a couple of hours and disassembling the aft end of the boat I found my problem. When the engine overheated from the R/W pump impeller failure, it melted part of the thru-hull fitting coming off the aft end of the muffler on the passeger side. Melted it enough for the clamp to no longer be effective. But now I need to remove the fuel tank to be able to access the aft end of the muffler to clamp it unto the new thru-hull fittings I ordered from SKIDIM.COM.

Thank you to all who referred SKIDIM.

The muffler on the passenger side is loose in the fiberglass, you can jiggle it around. Not sure if that is hurting anything or not. Any suggestions on what I can use to secure it better? It looks to be in fairly good shape, it also looks, from the shabby fiberglass job, that it had already been replaced before.