PDA

View Full Version : instrument panel replacement

Grover
07-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Any advice on replacing my instrument panels?

I’ve ordered the panels, and will be swapping out each and every switch, gauge, and instrument.

My thought was to just pull the panel out and start swapping one at a time, but the wire bundles don’t have much slack in them.

Any help would be very very welcome.

Thanks,

Grover

SupraNut
07-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Grover,
Where did you order the instrument panels from? I am in the process of replacing mine. I am fabricating from a sheet of carbon fiber looking material. It looks great except for it is missing the text. It is pretty easy to swap out the swicthes and guages, it is the little warning lights that are the trouble. To pull the lights out squeeze the end of the black tube housing to release the tabs holding the lights in. That is what I had to do on my '90 Supra Sunsport. It may have been different in '88. LOL.

Grover
07-21-2003, 07:22 PM
I ordered my panels through Island Marine @ (909) 272-9983.

They were recommended by Anthony Cooper at Skier's Choice. Ask for Doug, Kathy, or Ann.
Nice folks.

They are able to get parts from the factory when needed, as these are going to be. If they are not in stock, often they can be fabricated, as my footwell was.

And yes, many things were different in '88.

Anyway....

I take it that you did this work from under the "dash"?

Best,

Grover

SupraNut
07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
The gauges were released from under the dash. The switches could be released from above. I then removed the exposed screws holding the dash panels from above and pulled the panel out. I could then reach in and free the warning lights as mentioned in my previous response. I'd recommend labeling all the wires, lights, and switches when you pull them out so everything goes back in the right place. Put all the hardware you pull off in a safe place also. Let me know how you make out.