PDA

View Full Version : Engine ??? help

delbert
07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Out on the boat a week ago for 2 hours and engine cut out (running at @ 10 mph. It did not want to restart. Got it started and ran for 40 feet and cut out again. Would not restart. Took it back to lake that evening to look at it and started up and ran great for 15 minutes. I took it out next day and after 1 hour on lake it did it again. Took to local dealer (we do not have Supra dealer) and they drove for 1:30 and of course it drove great so they could not fix what was not broke. Took it back on the lake this weekend and it drove great for 2:30 and cut out again. Back at dealer. Any ideas of what it could be?

Boat is a 1991 Sunsport w/ PCM 351 and 1.23:1 trans. Has Pro tech electronic dist.

Salty87
07-29-2003, 11:49 AM
what exactly do you mean by cut out? it quit while you were underway? did it sputter, back-fire, bog down, flood? when it wouldn't start, what was it doing? any work done on it lately?

need more details, please....

delbert
07-30-2003, 11:00 AM
It quit while I was driving like someone turn off the key. It did not backfire or sputter. When I did get it restarted it was sputtering/missing/strugling to run. After it died the second time I could not get it restarted. Once I took it out later that night it ran like nothing was ever wrong. Since it will run great for about 2 hours then same thing (Die, struggle to run, and then not start)

kurtk
07-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Sounds like a fuel problem. If you have acarborated engine. try spraying starting fluid in the cab to see if it kicks over. If it does than it is a fuel problem. and is one of three things,

Could be bad gas or water in gas / put a can of HEET in the tank

pluged fuel filter / Install new fuel filters

Check fuel pump they usual just quit working but I have seen them do what yours is doing.

If not you have a electical problem star tby checking the ignition switch for loose wires.

Good Luck

Brian Raymond
07-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Contact Vince at Discoun Inboard Marine, he is a PCM troubleshooter and is the man for PCM,Indmar,Mercruiser OEM parts, from anchor lights to airguide speedos, you can contact him@(803)345-0996orwww.skidim.com. He is also a Supra owner, tell him I sent ya. Brian Raymond

paolaken
08-02-2003, 01:18 PM
i have a similer problem. mine is a wire at thr rear of the engine by the relay starter, under the black cover. i think i'm losing conection inside the molded plug. the boat will just die and not restart. i lift the hood, touch the wire and am underway again for who knows how long. aday, 2 days or 10 minutes. not a major problem but something to take care of in the none boating season.

08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks for help!! Dealer traced issue back to the PCM pro tech ignition. Seems that these are problematic and the solution is a replacement kit from PCM. Was a costly repair and something to keep in mind when buying used boats with this set up. Boat is now running great....Monster Tower fund is not looking so good.

delbert
08-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the input. No Supra dealer so local boat dealer traced issue back to the pro tech system. PCM has a replacement kit for the sysyem and I had to have them swap it out. Costly repair but good to be back on the lake. Supra of Nashville..... Has a nice ring to it