PDA

View Full Version : Speed problem

Dimitri
07-29-2003, 05:10 AM
I just got a COMP TS6 92.
I have a problem with the speed of my boat, according to the instruments the maximum speed I have is 35miles on 2800rpm. Is that normal? the prop is three blade 14X14.
My first thought was that the instrument is not working properly but the speed is not enough to ski in high speed, also when is neutral and I push the throttle until the end the RPM instrument indicates more than 6.000 (so I guess that the RPM instrument works).
Please HELP! Is the prop too big for water ski speeds? Is it a problem with the engine? (but in neutral goes very high), or anything else?

dndsam
07-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Sounds like to me you have way too big of a prop for a comp boat. I would imagine you need a 13X13 3 blade prop. You are able to turn up the RPM's in neutral because there is no resistance on the engine. I would contact Skiers Choice and find out for sure, but a 14X14 sounds big unlesss there is a gear reduction transmission on your boat.

Dimitri
08-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Dear friends

This weekend I place a 13X13X1" prop! After a few starting problems happened (my starter stuck) I run the COMP. The deference was great! I had 3900rpm & 38 to 39 miles max speed! With 14X14 I had 2800rpm & 35 miles max. So now I guess I can slalom easy with 58 klm. The question is: should I buy this prop? do you suggest something else to increase MORE speed? The manuals of engine give 4400rpm max and for the moment I don't have this number on my instrument! does anyone know what prop I have to buy (4 blade...13X17??? I don;t really know what is making the deference!

Thanks
Dimitris

Salty87
08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
if you're looking at buying a prop, be sure to look at www.acmemarine.com

their 3 blade props are awesome, tons of hole-shot and great top end speed too. i had to put my old 4 balde on for a few weeks to get a ding fixed and it basically sucked. i haven't talked to anyone who likes their old prop more than their acme.

Brian Raymond
08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Dimitris, sounds like the prop has been dialed in, now for the motor. It sounds like the secondaries of the carburetor are not opening, may be due to; sticky secondary shaft, rupture in vac. diaphragm, clogged fuel filter, blockage in the transfer tube, or congested block on secondary side. If you have never had a rebuild. on the carb. it may be time. Some other things to consider; base engine timing, new plugs, points(properley gapped) and condensor, the advance springs located under the main distributor plate, that control the throw out weights may have broken. Hope this helps, keep me posted. Brian Raymond

Dimitri
08-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Thank for your help Salty87 & Brian!!!!
I'll try to follow those issues to increase the speed of my boat!
Never the les I feel a little uncomfortable to release the carb alone (do I have to release it to check the secondary shaft?).

Anyway thanks again for your instant reply! I'll let you know soon....
Dimitris

Terry Holder
09-06-2003, 09:14 AM
did you get you problem taken care of , because my max speed is 38. i need 42 to barefoot. if you can help a brother out