PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues

skidad
08-03-2003, 07:59 PM
My 1992 Mariah will, upon turning off boat after extended use, pop the ignition breaker switch and not start. After 2 minutes of "rest", the breaker can be reset and the boat (oftentimes) will then start. Problem started after original Supra key broke off in ignition switch. Locksmith removed broken key and we then re-installed it. After repeated problems, we then removed original and installed new ignition keyswitch with same problem(only less frequently).
Next item: While wiring appears to be factory original and there are no owner-installed "add-ons', most of the fuses are removed. I installed new fuses and had a dead battery within 1 day. Contacted original owner and he indicated he got frustrated trying to find source of battery drain despite repeated attempts to fix. I would like to have more then a single blower, 1 bilge pump, the acc. plug, and dash lights working.
Lastly, how often and what are signs that shaft packing should be replaced(re-packed?)
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

08-04-2003, 10:48 AM
that wiring doesn't sound fun, almost sounds like its time to start over since the previous owner did some 'customizing'. sorry, no help here.

as for the packing, you should be getting a drip every minute or so. if you're getting more, tighten the nut. if the nut won't tighten anymore, it's time for new packing.

www.skidim.com will have the packing and possibly some pointers on the wiring.

good luck