PDA

View Full Version : mounting hardware for engine cover

azcummins
08-08-2003, 09:30 AM
I need to remount the hinges that hold my engine box, but I'm torn between screws or bolts. If I use screws then I won't have an ugly bolt head on the outside of the box, but screws will strip out eventually. I think the box was originally mounted with screws but I can't remember.

Anyone have an older supra around my year or would recommend screws over bolts?

cryonchick
08-08-2003, 11:55 PM
I have screws in mine right now, they are stripped, but I believe that they have been in there for awhile. I am going to replace them with ones that are a little bit bigger and will be more secure, the ones it has now are long, but quite small.
I haven't taken my cover off too many times so I shouldn't have too much of a problem with them.

The screws are easier to undue. But if you aren't going to be taking the cover off, I would use the screws, otherwise use bolts and a few extra minutes getting it off for maintenance and such won't be that big of a deal to save yourself from having to replace stripped out screws.

SupraNut
08-09-2003, 06:19 PM
You could use larger screws (be sure to use stainless steel) or you could go buy a 3/8" dowel and drill out a 3/8" hole. Glue the dowel in the hole, cut it flush and then pre-drill a new hole for your old screw. It'll be good as new.

Electro
09-14-2003, 06:25 PM
This year I glued machine screw inserts in to engine cover since the screws would not tighten any more. Then used stainless steel machine screws so not to have any corrosion.

Electro