PDA

View Full Version : gas plume from exhaust when engine running

LeeB
08-10-2003, 12:30 PM
My son had the boat out for only the second time this season yesterday...and this was the first time skiing behind it. After about 1 1/2 hours he noticed a gas smell, and a gas plume behind the boat. He didn't think it was there before.

I opened up the deck and around the tank this morning. No internal leaks. I fired up the engine in idle and got an immediate plume of gas coming out with the exhaust. Very noticeable.

Any ideas?

2000 Supra Legacy, 325 HP EFI Indmar

Lee

LeeB
08-10-2003, 12:38 PM
By the way, the engine ran normally the whole time, according to my son. Pulled skiers, pulled the tube, rpm's matched speed as usual.

cryonchick
08-10-2003, 03:12 PM
I have an older boat, but spoke with a service rep. and he told me that the carb needed to be cleaned out (carb cleaner sprayed in it and that the automatic choke was probably stuck. I am taking it in on Tuesday, so I will let you know what they say after actually looking at it.

I have the same problem on idle but not when running. Runs great but smokes when at idle.

LeeB
08-10-2003, 04:57 PM
In my case, no smoke at all - just raw unburned gas coming out with the exhaust and cooling water

cryonchick
08-10-2003, 11:40 PM
My mistake, I meant to say gas, I am having the same problem, unburned fuel coming out the exhaust...Sorry for the confusion in terms...

suckmywake
08-14-2003, 08:49 AM
www.clubroyale.net They just fixed the same problem on a 99. Rob is the owner.

cryonchick
08-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Got the boat back and was told that it just needed to be cleaned out and the mixture screws adjusted.

Runs and idles great ....no more gas plumes..

Brian Raymond
08-15-2003, 11:13 PM
If your motor has the water cooled fuel pump, chances are it has failed. On the inboards, raw gas can be seen coming out of the starboard exhaust. There is an update kit to fix your situation. Contact your local dealer immediately(gas is expensive). Brian Raymond

08-17-2003, 08:47 AM
The water pump was the problem. I posted the question on this board and on rec.sport.waterski - and got the lead to the water pump within a few hours.

Imdmar customer service was outstanding. They sent me an email of the service bulletin, which I forwarded to my marina, then worked with my marina to get the part quickly and the boat was fixed by the weekend. The engine went off warranty in March, but Indmar covered everything except the next day delivery on the pump.

Thanks for the responses from everyone.

LeeB
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
It was the water pump, but thanks to everyone who responded.

Neither my dealer nor my marina (Merc dealer) had any idea on what could cause the problem. I was pretty concerned about losing a serious chunk of summer. Both seemed pretty sure I didn't know what gas smelled like and was seeing a little oil leak instead.

I posted the question on this newsgroup and the rec.sport.waterski newsgroup and had the lead on the water pump back that afternoon.

Indmar customer service was outstanding. Answered the phone on the second ring, diagnosed the problem, sent me the service bulletin via email, then worked with the marina to get the part overnight so I could be back in the water ASAP. The motor is three months out of waranty, but Indmar paid for everything but the next day shipping.

Way cool.