PDA

View Full Version : More advise on boat purchase

Cobra Jet
12-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I wanted to get some advice regarding current boat prices.
I am considering two boats and I was hoping to get an idea of what a good price would be to offer in this current market. I am hoping to get a good deal, have cash and do not mind being patient.

1994 Supra Sun Sport 22 1/2 foot: New interior, tower, stereo has 600 hours. I have seen this boat and I would say it is in excellent condition for its age. Asking price is $15,000 obo

1991 Supra Mariah 21 foot: New interior, tower, stereo has 750 hours. I have seen this boat and I would say it is in good to excellent condition. Asking price is $10,000 obo

Any help would be appreciated.

michael hunter
12-13-2008, 01:58 PM
What do you want to do with your new boat?
Ski,Wakeboard,Surf ect.

Cobra Jet
12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
A little of everything. Nothing to hard core. My 14 year old son wants to learn how to wake board and my wife and I just want to enjoy the water.

I was also wondering how can I tell when looking at a Supra details about it such as year, length, model. Can I use the VIN number?

DKJBama92Mariah
12-14-2008, 02:49 AM
The only reference I know of is using the used boat price guide on nadaguides.com . It gives the model/length breakdown for the various years. I can't speak for the actual values they list one there though; they may be a bit high.

How are the stringers on the 91? How's the windshield on the 94?

What powerplants are in each?
Ford 351 or chevy 350/454?
PCM or Indmar marinization?
EFI or Carb?

If either has the 1.23:1 gear reduction transmission, that is a plus.

Price: Without knowing more or seeing the boats I can only make as systematic wildass guess of 20-25% off the asking price of each.

Cobra Jet
12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I went to see the 1994 Sun Sport yesterday. The overall condition of the boat was excellent for its year. No chips or cracks in the gel coat although it did have some discoloration on the white surfaces of the bottom. The interior was in great shape. One problem I noticed is that it had a good amount of oil in the bilge area under the motor. I was not able to easily see where it may be coming from.
In looking at the NADA guide it does not list a 22 ½ foot Sun Sport, so the owner must be wrong about either the size or model.
What is the best way to find a boat mechanic that could do an inspection for me as my mechanical expertise is limited?

michael hunter
12-14-2008, 06:32 PM
According to the NADA guide in 1994 the Sunsport only came in 21ft
I have a 89 Sunsport, I had oil in the bilge about 15 years ago.
It was the hose on the oil pan used to change the oil I replaced
it and never had the problem again. How many hours are on the
Sunsport? IMO the Sunsport is the best all around boat Supra makes.
But I am biased .

Cobra Jet
12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
The Sun Sport has around 600 hours.

Does anyone else have an idea about what I should expect to pay for each of these boats

1994 Supra Sun Sport 22 1/2 foot: New interior, tower, stereo has 600 hours. I have seen this boat and I would say it is in excellent condition for its age. Asking price is $15,000 obo

1991 Supra Mariah 21 foot: New interior, tower, stereo has 750 hours. I have seen this boat and I would say it is in good to excellent condition. Asking price is $10,000 obo

Salty87
12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
boat prices change alot depending on where you are. you need to scour the market where you are and see what people are at least asking.

the only advice i have is that i'd prefer the sunsport. it's got higher freeboard and the bow doesn't sit as low. you'll be able to get more people and weight in there without worrying about taking rollers over the bow as much.

also, 94 should have been made without wooden stringers. 91 is right on the edge from what i've read on these boards...could have been wood, maybe not.

i wouldn't get too hung up between the 2. they're fairly different boats. the mariah is an open bow comp. the sunsport hull was used in for one of the first, most successful (in my opinion as least) wakeboarding boats...the launch. pick the one you like and start negotiating.

csuggs
12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I love the Sunsport. Mine is an 86 Sunsport Skier. I have skied both the Comp and the Sunsport, and although you can take a roller over the bow with the Sunsport, it's much easier with the Comp! My biggest advise is to check for evidence of stringer problems and transom problems as evidences by a soft floor and week transom when standing on the platform. Find out if the boat has been stored in a garage or outside. A new interior could mean that the owner is hiding something, but it doesn't necessarily have to mean that.

As for price, NADA is a good place to start. However, when considering buying an older boat I think the condition means more than price. Ask yourself what you will spend to get the boat into the condition where you will be happy. When doing restorations, everything costs more than what you expect or think it should be worth - so money spent wisely up-front is critical.

DKJBama92Mariah
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
i wouldn't get too hung up between the 2. they're fairly different boats. the mariah is an open bow comp. the sunsport hull was used in for one of the first, most successful (in my opinion as least) wakeboarding boats...the launch. pick the one you like and start negotiating.

Salty,

Just a quick note. The Mariah is not an open bow comp. The Comp was built on a 20ft hull with even lower freeboard than the Mariah. The La Brisa was the 20'open bow version of the comp. The Mariah was built on the same 21' length hull as the sunsport, but with less freeboard. That being said, I agree with you in principle that the higher freeboard Sunsport of that era is a better choice for ANYTHING except dedicated slalom skiing on a lake with smooth water.

DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Cobra,

What's the story on the motors in the two boats? While nice on a new boat, EFI on a 15 year old boat can raise issues when things start to wear out.

Salty87
12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Salty,

Just a quick note. The Mariah is not an open bow comp. The Comp was built on a 20ft hull with even lower freeboard than the Mariah. The La Brisa was the 20'open bow version of the comp. The Mariah was built on the same 21' length hull as the sunsport, but with less freeboard. That being said, I agree with you in principle that the higher freeboard Sunsport of that era is a better choice for ANYTHING except dedicated slalom skiing on a lake with smooth water.

DKJ

i forgot about the la brisa, don't see many of them around. thanks for pointing that out.